Sunday, October 15, 2006

Why I love nursing.

   Holding a frightened patients hand in the quiet of the night, calming her fears and sitting with her until she drifts back to sleep. Night when they are alone the fear of thier illness overcomes them.  Rushing to help the patient who heartrate was over 200, laughing with another about a small joke that had us both giggling like school girls, her 89, me 52.   Watching my patient finish number 152 of 300 slippers she is finishing for Christmas.  These are the things we do in the quiet of night when the rest of the world sleeps.  These are the things I remember and why I go to work every night.  I laugh with my patients and shed quiet tears with my patients, hope with them and grieve with them.  What a perfect job.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam just did an entry re her love of nursing too. LOL
Have a lovely Sunday.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Many years I had a young lady patient.  Auto accident.  Both arms fractured and internal injuries.  I walked in her room and found her sobbing.  She was beside herself with grief.  She was crying because she had not shaved her legs and "now everyone sees my hairy legs" , plus she picked this very moment to start her period.  I got a bath basin full of hot soapy water, a surgical razor,  and we took care of all her issues.  I have never shaved another woman's legs to this day...lol.....but I know I would have wanted to look my best too.

Anonymous said...

that is why you are a good nurse:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

It's THOSE moments...those quiet and private moments  when you connect with someone that makes it so great!
Great entry Julie.
Pam

Anonymous said...

YOU SOUND LIKE AN AWESOME NURSE...I HOPE I GET ONE THAT IS AS NICE AS YOU IF I HAVE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL!! TERRYANN

Anonymous said...

And you are the perfect nurse for the job!! Loved this entry...hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

This entry made me cry....Oh Julie...how lucky...you can give what you give...that they can find comfort in you...they trust you...how lovely is that...I would love that type of job too...I have five children and no hubby..so I can afford that...but I would enjoy it...


I have a pet peeves with some other people...-I hate it when some talk to old people like they're babies...To think they're raised children, knew sorrow and joy in marriage, seen wars...held someone else hands..tended to the lives of neighbors...cooked for picnics...made homemade bread just for the heck of it..know loneliness...women battled battles that we dont...The elderly are our treasure...Julie....so happy to hear you connect....they're so lucky to have you...-Raven