Sunday, October 22, 2006

Whimpering in the night

   The empty space where my gallbladder once rested is calling for its return and its language is pain.  Don't know if this is normal or not. 

    Now I always thought of myself as having a pretty good pain tolerance.  I worked for a year with a broken back before they convinced me to have surgery.  A week after my last surgery I was at the gym working out.  This pain in my side though is getting to me.  I can't take a deep breath or turn over on my side at night without sharp pain.  So my question is.  You out there that have had this done, is this normal.

   I guess I was expecting this to be a fairly painless and easy recovery.  I am still watching the clock to see when I can get my next pain pill.  Maybe it is because they had to cut away the adhesions that is causing me more pain. 

   What it reminds me of is when I had my last belly surgery.   I ended up in OPD because I had a sharp pain in my rib area when I took a deep breath.  I couldn't lay down because the pain was so bad.  We all thought it was a blood clot but it wasn't.  Later that night, home again and heavily medicated for the pain, my incision broke open and drained alot, yik I know.  That relieved the pressure though and that pain went away.  This reminds me of that type of pain.  So I am looking at my incisions and wondering which will be the one that blows?

    I suppose if it is no better tomorrow I will give the doc a call to see if this is expected.  After all they did removed a part of my body and maybe it feels this way afterwards.  Maybe my pain tolerance is all used up for the year. 

   Today is my son's birthday.  Now I am feeling petty because he never called me to see how I made out after surgery.  I guess I have had so many surgeries they don't worry anymore.  A daughter would have called I bet.  Knew I should have kept having kids until I got a daughter.  To late now though. 

 So I guess I will end this with a laugh because I must be sadistic.

Photographing a new puppy isn't as easy as it may first sound...

Remove film from box and load camera.

Remove film box from puppy's mouth and throw in trash.

Remove puppy from trash and brush coffee grounds from muzzle.

Choose a suitable background for photo.

Mount camera on tripod and focus.

Find puppy and take dirty sock from mouth.

Place puppy in pre-focused spot and return to camera.

Forget about spot and crawl after puppy on knees.

Focus with one hand and fend off puppy with other hand.

Get tissue and clean nose print from lens.

Take flash cube from puppy's mouth and throw in trash.

Put cat outside and put peroxide on the scratch on puppy's nose.

Put magazines back on coffee table.

Try to get puppy's attention by squeaking toy over your head.

Replace your glasses and check camera for damage.

Jump up in time to grab puppy by scruff of neck and say, "No, outside! No, outside!"

Call spouse to clean up mess.

Fix a drink.

Sit back in Lazy Boy with drink and resolve to teach puppy "sit" and "stay" the first thing in the morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had this done Julie but I would think anywhere you have something taken out or moved would hurt. My neighbor across the street passed out several times from the pain so maybe pain from that is normal. I think you are right. Daughters are more concerned about mamas. I think sons take it for granted if you were not alright that Dad would call and let them know. I have one of each and the daughter is more concerned and calls more often than the son. Happy Birthday to your son anyway. Hope the pain goes away soon. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon. {{{}}}
HB to your son!
Cute puppy joke, I have it in my Archives with some cute graphics of puppy taking a pic. LOL
Have a blessed day dear.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

i have found with me the key is to get enough pain meds in my system then i don't need as much. but at first i need alot then once we hit the magic level i can deal with it. my sis had her gall bladder out and she said it hurt to eat breathe anything she did hurt. call the doc today are they on call? and just ask them if this is normal. Keeping you in my prayers

Deb

Anonymous said...

Julie, I have to tell you my son had his gallbladder removed at age 17.  It was no piece of cake.  In and out surgery, and he felt exactly like you do.  Years ago, you would still be in the hospital being taken care of.  His incisions also oozed.  He was nauseous for a good while also.  Take care...it does take time.  Chris

Anonymous said...

As you can tell I'm going through my alerts...just left you a comment about my incision breaking..and look here its happened to you...those staples dont work....its a waste of our time....try and rest...please....OK...mine was painless..but I went whacko when my doctor sent me home with Tylenol with codeine.....why be in pain when you dont have to...hope you can feel better VERY soon...took me two weeks...so tell your hubby to get you some good movies and food...-Raven