Friday, October 27, 2006

The weekend is here

                     

    I had said in my other entry that I needed to go back to the beginning when I first started my weight loss and start over.  This is the list I went by.

      

1. Exercise - It's nothing new, but exercise is probably the most important predictor of whether you will succeed at long term weight loss and weight loss maintenance.

2. Pump Iron -Miriam Nelson, a Tufts University researcher, showed that a group of women who followed a weight loss diet and did weight training exercises lost 44 percent more fat than those who only followed the diet. The basic equation is this: the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn.

3. Keep a Diary - Keeping a food diary can be a huge asset in successful weight loss.

4. Stay Focused on Healthy, Not Thin - Many people become more successful at long term weight loss when their motive changes from wanting to be thinner to wanting to be healthier.

5. Find Out What's Eating You - All too often overeating is triggered by stress, boredom, loneliness, anger, depression and other emotions.

6. Get Support - A big key in long term weight control comes from receiving encouragement and support from others.

7. Watch Your Portions - With the advent of "supersize" meals and increasingly huge portions at restaurants, our concept of normal serving sizes is a distant memory. Be mindful of the amounts of food you consume at a sitting.

8. Lose Weight Slowly With Small Changes -It is important to realize that the more quickly weight is lost, the more likely the loss is coming from water and muscle, not fat.

9. Slow Down -That's because from the time you begin eating it takes the brain 20 minutes to start signaling feelings of fullness. Fast eaters often eat beyond their true level of fullness before the 20 minute signal has had a chance to set in.

10. Eat Less Fat, But Do It Wisely -To many, the message to limit fats implied an endorsement to eat unlimited amounts of fat-free products. Just to clarify, fat-free foods have calories too. In some cases fat-free foods have as many calories as their fat laden counterparts.

   I was doing each and every one of those when I was successful.  Now I am not hardly doing any.

          

   1)Water?  I am lucky if I drink a glass a day.  So today I will get in 8 glasses. 

2) Exercise,  will I started walking again which is about all I can do for now but next week when OK'ed by my doc I will start the gym again.

3)  I was religious about writing my food down and just stopped for some reason.  Today I start writing down everything again on the slimfast site.  

4) I do try to stay focused on just being healthy and think I have done really good still in that requard so will just keep it up. 

5)  and 6 aren't bad but I need Rick to not tempt with with the wrong foods.  I did get tired of trying to talk him into making less fattening meals when he was doing the cooking. 

 7) Oh yes, portion control, always a problem with me.  6 ounces of meat instead of 4, 1 and a half cups instead of 1, it all adds up.   I will start measuring out my food again.  

 8)   well heck that is no problem, I am the worlds slowest loser for sure but I know what they are trying to say. 

9)  I have again gotten bad about eating at the kitchen table and slowing down.   I will sit here at the computer and eat my cereral or drink my slim fast.   Back to the kitchen and put the fork down after each bite.  

10) That I did learn the hard way.  I was buying fat free everything and only paying attention to that, when I checked out the calories and salt though some were horrible.  Read your labels carefully.

      

   So I have had 2 comments since I went private.   Is that because they can't get in my journal, the ones I am allowing or they just are commenting?  If there is a way to have screwed it up I sure could have.

    I am feeling extremely fat and fluffy today.   I still have some distention and find I am just not digesting food very well.  Hope this passes soon.  Still have bad nights as it is hard to find a way to lay where it doesn't cause my stomach to hurt.  Sigh.  Getting really old.

   Well that is all today.  Sending prayers to the firefighters families who were killed yesterday.

        

No comments: