Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Another one for the lame list.


   Now I have done some stupid things in my life but agreeing to have a hida scan after I had worked 12.5 hours and after I had been up for 22 hours ranks right up there on the top 5.

The ultrasound wasn't bad, only took around 45 to 55 minutes and the bed was cozy. No stones were found and the only abnormal thing they found was a fold in my gallbadder. Good and bad news. If they had found a stone I wouldn't have had to have the next test.

A hida scan isn't that terrible. It does however take from 2 to 4 hours. Yikes, I had no idea. They got me comfortable on a table Twiggy would have found narrow, am I dating myself, anyone remember Twiggy? The lady said I could sleep if I like as this part takes like an hour. They inject the dye in you which gives you a funny taste in your mouth and wait for your gallbadder to fill. They turned the lights down low, put some warm blankets on.....yes, I thought.......a nap would be good. The the lady started to talk......and talk.......and talk.......and talk. Sometimes I regret that my mother taught me to be so polite. I was trapped under this huge camera trying despirately to keep my eyes open and smile for the entire time. My back was killing me, my ears were killing me. Trapped audience for one. Sigh.

   So anyway after an hour they decided it was taking way to long for my gallbadder to fill so I got to get up and do some laps.....just what I wanted to do at this late hour after being awake for now around 24 hours. But I did because it allowed me to escape the really nice lady who talked to much and my back was killing me.

    Back to the table. Fortunately the nice lady had a meeting and now the sweet young girl got ready to sweetly torture me. They hook you up to an IV. "This may give you some symptoms mildly of the pain you had the other day," she gently said with a look of sympathy on her face. And she started the drip.

   2 minutes, not bad, I can handle this, 4 minutes waves of colicy pain are rushing across my tummy, deep breathe, ok I can handle this.....6 minutes knife like sharp pains under the ribs.....OK this really was getting unpleasent... Hey lady, where are you? How long does this last? No reply. 10 minutes later I had a choking nauseated feeling and it feels like something alive it trying to tear its way out of my stomach.  Great I think, I am going to puke all over myself...... just then in she comes and sweetly takes the IV apart. That parts done, how was it?  Just peachy I mumble trying not to hurl.

     After that it is only a matter of waiting for your gallbladder to empty. Takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. I think it took about 40 minutes for mine and then I was done. By this time it was 11:30. I had been up since 7:30 the day before. I hadn't eaten or drank anything for hours. I felt like a hungry thirsty zombie.

So I missed the first 4 hours of work. I feel better now and won't know anything until tomorrow. My luck everything will be just fine and I went through the test for nothing. It wasn't as bad as some tests I have had but I think I will past on having it done ever again.

     By the way, this is in black and white because I can't get the color to work. I also in stuck in the spell check mode. Will this even save? Time will tell.

  OK it took 3 tries to get this to save.  Thank goodness I always do it on word pad first.  I do have color now.


ladeeoftheworld said...

You poor dear...................tortured in the name of medicine.  

lanurseprn said...

Oh sounds just AWFUL!!  I had no idea that's how awful it is!  Oh I hope you feel better now!
I hope they do find something and they can help you to feel better soon.
Oh..and BTW....THANKS for tagging me LOL!

jckfrstross said...

oh man i hate tests like that hope you find out what is causeing your pain


inquestoftruth said...

That test makes me glad my gall bladder is history!    So Beta is giving you some fits, eh?    I think I'll let y'all figure out the bugs before I try that route.

siennastarr said...

Julie, I know I shouldn't have giggled a couple times during your entry, but the way you tell a story.. I just couldn't help myself.  I can just imagine you trying to get all relaxed under that warm blanket, and that lady just jamming her jaws at 50miles an hour non stop!  That is so annoying!

I hope the test turns out okay, but if it does, then what?  More tests?


madcobug said...

Your gall bladder is probably not emptying out good enough is why you felt like you did. I had mine done with no problems a few years back but i remember well  having to lie on that narrow thing they call a bed and not moving at all. Hope you feel etter soon. Helen

rebuketheworld said...

Why didnt they give you Percocet or something for the pain prior?...10 minutes is a long time to feel pain...your stronger than I.........-Raven

xxroxymamaxx said...

Well I'm glad that it wasn't too serious Julie.  The test sounds icky though. Big hugs and GBU, Shelly

cuteybaby1981 said...

You are a trooper because I would have passed out in her face.  But you are so sweet!  And the IV part, yeah I would  have been crying because I suck at taking pain...hate to see what child birth is going to be like for me. I pray that all is well with you and that your gall bladder unfolds, if that is possible...

Much love,