Friday, May 12, 2006

Wow, What a busy Night!

                             

    It's ironic that the all year so far our census at the hospital has been around 145 to 150.   Now that they talk about down sizing the hospital it is at 183 this morning when I left!  What would happen if we make all of our room private like it is being considered and we go to 230 like we ran the year before all the time!  Not that I want people to be sick, but I hope the census stays up for awhile so they will really reconsider down sizing.

   Hit the floor running last night and it went that way the entire 12 hours.  The patients were all pretty critical and we had one emergency after another.  The good thing about that is the day flew by.  Fortunately we had plenty of help as they had switched the schedule around to help beef up the staff for tonight.  Really good thing about being so busy is I didn't do any snaking and their wasn't any extra food lying around.

   Weighed in when I woke up.  I am down a pound.  I sure hope it stays and gathers friends by weigh in day. 

    I was talking to one of the nurses who had a gastric bypass on my floor. ( we have 4 nurses on my floor who have had this surgery),  She also is losing very slow.  She said she still eats the wrong foods and knows the reason why she isn't losing this past 6 months, is because she doesn't even try to eat the right foods and doesn't exercise at all!

     She has lost 90 pounds, but still has alot to lose and I wonder why you would go through major surgery with all its risks and not do everything the doctor said to to assure its success.  She had the regular gastric bypass, not the lap band I was going to get. 

     There are no magic bullets to thinness.  The only really correct and sure way to lose weight is just what the doctors has said all along.  Eat less, eat healthy, and exercise.

   No to brag, but looking at me you wouldn't know that I had lost 57 pounds.  My skin isn't excessively saggy.  More just normal looking for someone my age.  I have noticed improvement in my skin and hair from eating healthier.  Truthfully though I never was much for junk foods.  I just ate too much.  I still have trouble with that.  I never feel full!

   I looked into lap band surgery because I knew it would not allow me to eat more then I should.  It would help me to feel full.  For some reason I think I could eat all day and never feel full.  The doctor told me that is common with overweight people and the lap band was successful for the people who didn't eat wrong and didn't snack all day.  They just ate too much at a sitting.  That was me. 

    I am sure I would have been successful at my weight loss with that surgery.  The only difference now is I just have to measure out my portions and stop at that instead of eating more.  I can't depend on my body sending me signals saying, STOP, YOUR FULL!   I have been eating this way for 10 months now and I still rarely feel full.  I drink a full glass of water before my meals, I still never feel full.  No triggers to make me quit eating.  Anyone else out there notice that?  That is why portion control was so hard for me.

   I enter all my food at Slimfast.com.  It's chart keep track of all my calories as you can see by my daily charts.  It gives me something to go by.  Fitday.com is another great site I would have used if I hadn't already started on slimfast.com.  For me this has been very important.  In a earlier entry I have it written down what I do.  http://journals.aol.com/midwestvintage/JulieLosesitMyWeightLossJourney/entries/1093

   I do everything on that list. 

     Now off subject.  The above link is the first time I have done that in this journal.  I new thing for me.  I try to learn something new each day.  How great I got that out of the way so I can slack off the rest of the day.

     Now back to weight loss.  My mind just jumps all over these day.  I get a new charm for my charm bracelet for every 10 pound weight loss.  My first charm was a butterfly to signify the change I was going through,  my 2nd just says 20.  For the 3rd I got a turtle because it took me forever to get that 10 off.  40 was a bike since riding my bike helped me get that 10 pounds off.  At 50 I had a charm made for me that showed a doctors scale with 50 above it.  I also got a charm for when I made it to onederland.  A mountain to show I had made it over the top and was now sliding down to my goal.  I am getting close to needing my -60 pounds charm.  I am stuck on what to get.  Another turtle would be good since it has taken me months to get this 10 pounds off but I don't want to repeat myself.  Any suggestions?

   Time to close this rambling long post and get supper ready and then myself ready for work.  My toe is throbbing today so I think a tylenol is called for also.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you for being almost at 60lbs!!! Wow what an accomplishment!!  Go pick up something that weighs that much....that's a LOT of weight!!  Determination, and hard work.  I commend you!  And....I'm ENVIOUS!! LOL!
What a great idea to create a charm bracelet.  I love that idea and might do that myself once I get back on the stick.  I lost about 30lbs and stopped.  I have about 30-35 more to go...sheesh!  
I hope your night goes well.  I'm scheduled to work tomorrow at 7am and Sunday 7am.  I figure they probably won't cancel me this weekend.  But, we never know, do we?
Enjoy your  Mother's Day................Pamela

Anonymous said...

Congrats on how much weight you lost so far.  I know its hard to look at the big picture when there is still so much more to go.  Just keep it going.  As far as the hunger part.   I am with you.  I NEVER feel full!!!!!NEVER.  I can just eat and eat.  It's probably why I am having such a hard time talking off these last 50 lbs. (according to WW they have me at 108.5) but lets not get crazy here...lol  I will settle for 130 which is on the high end of the chart.  Love your journal
Christina

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your weight loss so far......FABULOUS!!! You said all the right things too, it was such a great entry. You are right Julie, there are no magic bullets and no short cuts.....we simply can't eat everything we want to!
I'm happy for you about the skin....I'm not so lucky in that area. But, I figure given them both....if I had to chose between my skin being saggy or staying fat, I'll learn to live with the loose skin!!
How ironic about the charm bracelet.....I have been doing that too, just haven't posted about it yet!! I buy one every 20 pounds and have been doing different Disney charms that represent things to me and I'm going to add a WW one to it at some point. I love all of your charms and what they mean.....that will always be something for you to have. I bought a Cinderella charm for my 100 pound mark, I have loved doing it. I can't wait to see which one you choose next.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~