Monday, May 8, 2006

My Ingrown Toenail

     Ok, I know this really strays from weight loss, but I am going to tell this anyway.  My journal, my story. 

                  A long long time ago..... maybe 5 years ago........ I had a really,  really bad ingrown toenail.  It hurt so bad I was taking my shoes off at work and wearing shoe covers.  I was afraid to have it taken care of.  Since I was the house supervisor back then, doing my rounds on every floor was extremely painful.  I let it go long enough the ingrown toenail started pushing out of the skin at the top of my toe and it got very infected.  Gross I know, but I have a good pain tolerance and a healthy horror of going to see the doc.

         Now at this time my oldest son also had a very badly infected ingrown toenail.  Hating to see him suffer, I convinced him to see his doctor and I went along. That way I could see how they took care of it.  They used this very tiny little fine needle and injected his toe.  First they had put a rubber band around it so the medicine would stay just in the toe.  About 15 minutes later the doc came to see if the toe was completely numb and painlessly removed my son's ingrown toenail.  He said it didn't hurt at all and  the relief was tremedous.  Feeling very foolish for putting it off so long I also made an appointment with my doctor.

   Now my doctor had been my doctor for many, many, many, many, years.   Everyone was shocked he was still practicing.  I refused to change doctors just because he was old and I never had anything really seriously wrong with me anyway. 

     So anyway the day of my appointment comes and I have Rick come with for courage.  I wasn't to concerned though after seeing my son have his done. However,  I should have been afraid~~ ~ ~ ~ very Afraid!

     My doctor came toward my toe with shaky old man's hand and with a needle that was at least a 20, maybe an 18.  The lower the number in needles the bigger the needles.  He was shaking so much it took two passes to hit my toe.  With watery eyes he injected my most infected area of my toe.  I can't even begin to describe how badly that hurt. 

     Unfortunately that wasn't the worst for me.  Immediately after he injected my toe he grabbed scissors and jammed it under my toenail and cut it in half.  Then he got some hemostats and grabbing hold of the troublesome nail he ripped it out.  My screams echoed in the hallway.  Children in other rooms begin to cry.  Even his nurse turned pale and grabbed the counter top to keep from dropping to her knees in shock.

      Rick just stood there pale and extremely grateful he never had trouble with his nails.

    After wrapping me up in an entire roll of gauze, the kindly old doctor bid me a fond farewell.  In shock I, THANKED HIM, and staggered out.  In the car Rick asked me if that was as awful as it looked and I burst into tears and started to shake.

    Why do I bring this up?  My nail is again ingrown and causing me pain.  I have another appointment to get it taken care of in the morning with my new doctor.  My other doctor finally retired.  I spent 25 minutes quizzing her on how she prepared a toe before removing a hangnail. Since she already thinks I am weird, she cautiously answered all my questions.

   I am asking for everyone's prayers tonight.  Surely it could not happen that way twice.  I must have been being punished for something terrible I did like eating a candy bar or something.

    I wonder if I will sleep tonight.  Maybe I will stay up all night writing stupid stuff in my journal to keep my mind off of tomorrow.   If I survive I have decided to go fishing tomorrow.  I will need the balance.  I am going to meditate tonight and tomorrow and practice my breathing.  I can do this, I will live through this................I hope!

                Your Nutrition Information

                                        Actual                            Target

Calories                            1,940                               1500

Calories from Fat                280                            280 - 530

Total Fat                             33g                              32 - 61g

Saturated Fat                            8g                           <= 17g

Cholesterol                           80mg                         < 300mg

Sodium                                910mg                      < 2400mg Total

Carbohydrate                       180g                           180 - 260g

Dietary Fiber                          34g                             >= 25g

Sugars                                   25g                                    *

Protein                                  48g                                41 - 142g

Vitamin A                              *                                         *

Vitamin C                                160%                            100%

Calcium                                  60%                                100%

Iron                                    120%                                 100%

   I heard today that rickets is coming back and they are linking it to children being completely covered in sun screen which is blocking the Vit D they need plus they don't play outside like we used to as a child.  I have children in my neighborhood,  I just don't hear them much.  They are too busy playing video games and watching TV.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will be ok. Your son didn't have any trouble. Your problem before was in who did yours. If your son's doctor did it you would have been fine. This new Doctor will do good for you. I will send up a prayer that everything will go ok. Helen

Anonymous said...

I KNOW that's an awful procedure.  20yrs ago I used to work for a doc that did toenail removals.  It was the procedure I hated the most assisting him with.  It's tough to get it totally numb, but they can do it.  They do a digital block.  A shot in each side of the toe and it numbs the nerve.  They can even numb the area that they are giving the shot in so it won't hurt too bad.  They can use this stuff on the area that sort of "freezes" it and makes it numb on the outside. Once the toe is numbed he can inject more lidocaine into the actual area of the toenail to numb it further.  Make sure they do that.  If done right, it can be done with minimal pain.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Prayers are with you.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Praying everything goes good for you....hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

All will be fine, I have faith!!! Will say a prayer for you tonight. And remember anytime you need prayer, go to my Prayer Request Pg & leave a comment, lots of people visit that pg daily prayinig over those requests. Plus I put them all in ym Prayer Box.
Blessings,
SUGAR
here's the link in case you don't have it, it's also on my side bar.

http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/PRAYING4U/

Anonymous said...

Hi, you will get through this believe me! don't be scared....we are all with you.
Rach.xxxx

Anonymous said...

Please do not be afraid...we are ALL here for you....keep the faith!
Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Since I haven't read ahead yet....I'm going to pray that everything went okay for you. {{{{Julie}}}}

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~