Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Let the Sunshine!

                                   

   The 2 ladies I was going to the step class with backed out so I decided to just go with Rick later and do my usual workout, plus it is finally not raining and a bike ride would be wonderful. 

    

   Rick is trying to fix the mower.  The grass is up to my dogs tummy and soon the city will be complaining if we don't get it cut.  It does look kind of neat and wild out there right now with the long dark green grass and the doe grazing in the back.  It will look nice when mowed.

            

   Yesterday was a great on-plan day, but then I decided a cold wheat beer would taste great.  It did, in fact 2 really tasted great, but they sure added on  the calories.

             

   I have decided to get a 2nd job.  One that is more on call then scheduled hours.  With 7 days off I could easily fit another part time job in there.  Not that I am really gung ho about working, but I want to get my bills paid as fast as possible and since the hospital is so low I can't pick up extra hours there.  

            

    If I do traveling nursing I should be able to get about 45 a hour, but you get stuck in some tuff situations sometimes.  Short staffing and little orientation.  I have enough experiance that I should be able to find my way around most situations I find myself in.   So I am going to look into that Thursday after the doc and my class.   If I just use that money for bills I should have my medical bills paid off in a couple of months, and if I work for a year at it I might get my house paid off also.  The bad thing is I won't have time for the gym much.  You do what you need to do though and thank goodness I have the skills to do it. 

             

    I want to be able to start stock piling money in savings for when I retire.  That is only a short 16 years away which seems like a long time, but time flys.  The way things work though they will keep changing the date I can retire.  It gets farther away each year.  I will have worked at the hospital 42 years by the time I will have been allowed to retire.  Yikes.  Remember when you used to hear about people getting their gold watches and retiring in 25 years!  Plus I have been working pretty much steady since I was 16 which means I will have 51 years by then. Before that I babysat.  No wonder I am tired.  In all that time I have only taken 4 real vacations. 5 if you count my honeymoon.

            

    Since my husband hasn't worked since 1989 except for 3 years brewing beer, most of the time I have been the bread winner and I am not making ends meet much these years.  I have paid off 2 houses and 2 cars though.  And I have pretty simple tastes.  Except for my pottery I collect, I live pretty simply.  No TV, no IPod or other electronics everyone seems to have these days.  Few clothes, one purse.  I shouldn't need another bike and hopefullymy cars will get me by for another 8 years.

            

   My house is a reasonable size, not one of those huge ugly monsters people seem to think they need.  I could never understand why they have those huge houses.  What a massive waste of money, space, property, and view.  They have them crammed right next to their neighbors and each house pretty much looks the same.  What is the purpose?    Nothing is sadder then driving in the country and coming across this huge blocky house .  They should be required to have it blend in with the landscape to make it pleasing to the eyes. 

            

    I like my small little house.  Easy to clean, low to the ground and 4 huge lots surrounded by woods.  The view is nature rather then house.  Animals wander through and when I am 90, if I get there, I will still be able to take care of my house.  By climbing on a chair I can reach cobwebs.  Some houses you need a ladder! Why!

                    

     I guess it depends on what is important to you.  What makes you happy.  They are probably as happy as I and as happy with their huge house as I am with my small house.    Coming from a very poor family I am pleased as punch to have this home of my own.   I can remember not having a roof over my head or enough to eat as a child when we first excaped from my abusive father.  Also, although I am not Buddhist, I do agree with alot of the principles of their simple living.  Keeps me out of a therapists office.  I have never felt the need                           .

             

    Obviously I have enough to eat and for the majority of the time am very happy.  A good book, a fluffy dog and a roof over my head.  What more could one ask for?

               

          

   Well, this journal sure strays from the weight loss issues at times but such is life.  Today I just had slim fast for breakfast because I like it and it is easy.  Lunch is going to be a pita sandwich with turkey and hummus.  Chicken for supper.  I am making the chicken that everyone really likes.  Skinless, boneless chicken breasts with chili powder sprinkled on them.  Cook them in olive oil spray until cooked.  Then in a electric pan combine black beans, corn and salsa and heat through.  I have found a black bean and corn mix in the frozen section that works great for this.  When hot put the chicken on top and serve.  Yummy and low fat and low in calories.  You can make it as hot as you like.  Serve with a side salad and its a great meal and very quick.

                                                    

   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great entry!!!  I totally agree with you on the simple things.  I just did an entry in my journal on how people are taking away the land around here and building HUGE homes!  And I agree...I like my one story normal size house!  
Have a good day.  Love to you from one nurse to another!
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Good entry! Enjoyed the read.
Blessings, SUGAR

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.  I like the simple pleasures of life.  I live in a small house back in the woods, and I just love it.  I get to see rabbits, squirels, deer, etc.  Everyday is a blessing.  I enjoyed reading your journal.

Pat

Anonymous said...

Awe he is so cute!...TerryAnn