Friday, May 5, 2006

Friday's Day of atonement.

                   What Do You Call a Boomerang That Doesn't work?

 If you don't think a couple of pieces of pizza and beer will hurt your diet check out what it did for my calorie intake yesterday.  Yikes. 

   After class we decided to just do pizza since it had been a full day.  We could have made better choices.  I always felt pizza was the best food because it featured all the food groups.  But it is loaded in fat.  You can make one from scratch and have it lower in calories using low fat cheese and mostly veggies.  Thin down the crust.  That would have taken awhile though and I was looking for fast last night.  Lazy rears its ugly head.  I also felt like celebrating my good news yesterday. 

  My brother has COPD from smoking and he is only 2 years older then me.  If I had smoked a couple more years would I have ended up with lung damage.  Will I still get it.  I have taken care of alot of patients who quit smoking years before and end up tied to an oxygen tank.  I know it is scary not to be able to catch your breath.  Real scary. 

   I was one of the last generation to think smoking wasn't that harmful for you.  They were .25 cents when I started and we were warned it would stunt our growth if we smoked.  Since I had already stopped growing when I started that didn't worry me.  I smoked through both pregnancies and the only thing they said is it caused smaller babies.  In fact they wheeled me out of the delivery room to have a smoke because I was in labor for 3 days and was dying for a cigarette.  We used to smoke at the hospital at the desk while we charted.  Gradually though the climate changed.  We started hearing more and more how bad it was for you.  More then cancer I was scared to death of getting emphysema.  Did it make me quit smoking?  Not for years.  I was so hooked I would leave a movie in the middle sometimes to smoke. 

   We have since found out the cigarette companies add things to the cigarettes to make them addictive.  That should be outlawed.  I always said if smoking were illegal I would quit but the government would never do that, they make way to much money off of them.  It is getting better though.  I don't see as many smokers.  My son's never smoked which is a relief.  Eventually I think they will be gone but replaced with what!  Even now I have told my husband jokenly that the first thing I would do if I found out I had a terminal illness would be to buy some smokes.  And the truth is I probably would.  They have that much of a hold on me.  Like food.  I have an addictive personalilty.

                                       A Stick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for quitting.  It breaks my heart when I take care of people with COPD or Emphysema and all they did to get this is smoke. Smoking is very addictive.  Some people just can't help it.  What amazes me are the occassional cases where someone has smoked for years and has no repercussions from it.  Those are few and far in between, but they are there!  
Amazing.  I'm like you, totally addictive personality.  Seems like everyone I know is.  So you're not alone.
Take care of yourself and I'm glad you did your work out!
Pamela