Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Crash and Burn

    I am normally a pretty positive person.  Not prone to depression.  This mothers day really got me down though. 

       I mentioned I am now the age my mother was when we spent the last mother's day with her.   That day was so strange for us because my mom insisted on discussing her funeral plans and what she would want done if something should happen to her on that day. Did she have a premonition?

 We protested and said we didn't want to talk about it, especially on Mothers day, she would be around for years to come, but she insisted.  She said as the oldest girl I would be the one who had to make the decisions.  So we sat down and indulged her by listening but a small alarm bell was ringing in my heart.  Something I had never really thought about was being discussed making me think about it.  The unheard of could happen.   And it did soon afterward.  I never saw her again where she knew who I was.

   Sunday I couldn't help thinking, this is how my mother felt at this age.  This is how her skin felt, her joints ached, her mind thought.  This is how young my mother felt at my age.  The whole day I couldn't stop myself from comparing my every move to my Mothers.

    My mother died from Herpes Encephalitis.  She had a small cold sore on her mouth that traveled from a sinus infection to her brain destroying it.  Back then they had no treatment for it.  They did shortly afterwards.  I woke up mothers day with a small cold sore on my mouth.  Freaked me out.  I felt morbid all day and it is a good thing we were so busy at work to keep my mind off of it. 

   I over ate yesterday.  I felt this dark cloud over my head all day.  I am shaking it off today. 

   I know that the chances of me getting the same illness and dying at the same age as my mother are as slim as the lottery ticket in my purse being the winning numbers.  I did not call my oldest son and burden him with talked about my upcoming funeral.  I did tell my husband, who it turns out had the same irrational fear, about my silly worries. Irrational b : not governed by or according to reason <irrational fears> c Greek & Latin prosody  I am going to eat on track again and not eat like it was the last day of my life.  Depression is a terrible thing.  I am lucky I rarely feel it.  I am lucky it usually does not last long.  I am lucky to be alive.  Begone little depression demons. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have been reading you entries. Mostly because of the weight loss thing. That would be a very hard thing to deal with. My mother and I are really close and I can't even begin to imagine how you felt Sunday. I am glad your husband was there to support you. Look forward to reading your stories.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear how your mom passed. But happy she got to talk with you that last time re her wishes!
I've tried to talk with my son about things, but he always says "I don't want to hear that, it's morbid & I refuse to talk about it"!
As you said, chances are next to 0 that the same thing would happen to you, so be happy, live life as your mom would've wanted you to!
Hugs, SUGAR

Anonymous said...

I know it scared you when the sore popped out on your mouth. Hope you soon get to feeling better. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had a hard Mother's Day.  Maybe you'll feel better after the exercise at the gym.  I hope so.  You are lucky you aren't prone to depression.  I am prone to it. Both parents suffered from it.  My doc says it can run in families. I have found that to be true....but I deal with it when it comes.  
I like your demon graphic!! Have a good day.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

i am sorry...that is hard...I am praying for you...I just don't know what to say...I have been missing my grandma and have lots of things going through my mind...know you are in my thoughts...TerryAnn