Monday, June 5, 2006

Workout

                                   

    Just got back from the gym after a great workout.  I did the treadmill for 20 minutes and finally got up to 3.8 speed without dying.  Then I did some some weight lifting.  Since my hip was hurting I cut down on some leg weights and it went fine.  The gym was busy with all the kids out of school and it was amusing to watch the teenage boys show off for their girls by lifting weight, or trying to lift weights, that were way too heavy for them.  Then I did the bike for 20 minutes or 4 miles.  It is not as much fun as really riding but I could do the equivilant of hills.  I started feeling wheezing and was having trouble catching my breath so I got a fan and kept it on me and it went much better.  I could feel the burn though by the time we left.

    At home we all had a large salad with grilled chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, cranberries and what ever dressing everyone wanted. I had balsamic.  Yummy.  For dessert I made the best smoothie.  My banana's are past what I like so I got my banana in this way.  I used frozen strawberries, raspberries, banana, dannon lite strawberry yogert and no fat milk.  It was wonderful.  I had a cup and gave the rest to my husband.  It was the best smoothie I have made so far.

   Tonight I want to walk the dog when it is cooler.  She has been so neglected since we started riding our bikes and I feel quilty.  She does not tolerate the heat at all and gets overheated very fast.  We have to walk her either very early or right before the sun goes down.  We almost lost her to heat stroke last year so I alway carry drinking water plus a gallon of water to drench her with if necessary.  I think she has put on the 2 pounds I lost with all this lying around. 

    The salad below is very very tastey.  Sounds like the strange combo but the flavors really compliment each other.  Great light lunch.  I leave out the salt.  This is a phase 2 south beach recipe.

                    Boston Lettuce and Pecan Salad

       . 1 head Boston lettuce

1/4 cup pecans

1/2 cup fresh blueberries

1/4 cup monterey jack cheese, grated

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper

                   DIRECTIONS:

Rinse and chop lettuce into bite-size pieces. Spin dry in a salad spinner or press gently between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Lightly chop pecans and toast until fragrant, 5 minutes. Mix warm pecans with blueberries and toss with cheese, lettuce, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Serve.

Calories 327 Calories from Fat 272 Daily Value * Total Fat 30.3g 47 % Saturated Fat 5.2g 26 % Cholesterol 15mg 5 % Sodium 294mg 12 % Potassium 323mg 9 % Total Carbohydrates 10.4g 3 % Dietary Fiber 3.2g 13 % Protein 6.9g 14 % ** Sugars 2.9g Vitamin A 20 % Vitamin C 19 % Calcium 21 % Iron 9 % ** Thiamin 17 % ** Niacin 13 % ** Vitamin B6 6 % ** Magnesium 13 % ** Folate 38 %

                       

   Check out the new tag Linda made me.  Isn't it wonderful.  Thanks Linda.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're really doing good! CONGRATS!
The meal you had sounded great & so did the smoothie! YUMM!
Yes take the dog out early or very late, that's what I do here too.
I got the same tag from Linda. And the one you posted yesterday too. Seems I have just about all the tags in J Land. LOL I love them, keep getting more!!! Gotta stop some time.
Don't forget to visit me often.
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

love the tag:) glad you got to excersize:) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your workout!  The smoothie and the salad sound so yummy!  I'm gonna have to try them soon.
Have a good night.
Pamela