Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Father In Law

    

   I always felt comfortable with my father in law.  Where my MIL can drive me nuts at times Pops could alway make me laugh and always make a bad mood go away.  Everyone went to him for advice and it was always sound.  It was my father in law who talked the other men into letting me be the first woman ever to go to Canada with them on the annual fishing trip. 

 It was Pops who would listen when I would cripe about Rick and take my side!  It was Pops who made me feel so welcome in the family.

   When Pops got sick with cancer I moved in to take care of him.  He faced his illness with his usual quiet dignity.  We had many moments that still make me laugh.  Once at the kitchen table we were whispering to each other about how he was doing that day.  He called from his bed in the other room, I can hear you guys!  Another time he was sleeping and my MIL asked me,  he doesn't look like he is breathing......without opening his eyes he said, I'm not dead yet Betty!   We all burst out laughing.  3 days before he died he told me he was ready to go and wanted to say goodbye to everyone.  One by one everyone went to his side and pops said goodbye.  He called all the people he loved on the phone and said goodbye.  The next morning he was surprised to wake up.  Julie, I am so embarrassed he says, I didn't die like I thought I was going to, what do I tell everyone?  I couldn't help but laugh, it's alright Pops, everyone will be happy you were wrong for once!

  Someday I will get to see him again and it will be a joyful reunion.  Until then,   

           http://www.GlitterMaker.com/ - Glitter Graphics
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He has a great sence of humer even until the end. No wonder you loved him. That is really a huge fish he has caught. Helen

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry! :)
Have a great day!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
That entry was so sad and yet so funny.It is good to have known someone like pops and he brought you a lot of happiness.Loved the part where you say , everyone will be happy that you were wrong for once.I am sure he is smiling down at you.
Rach.xx

Anonymous said...

what a great tribute to a special man:) happy fathers day to Rick and i hope your day was great Julie:)



Deb

Anonymous said...

He sounds like he was a wonderful man!  I'm sure he's missed so much.  Enjoy your day, Julie!
Pamela

Anonymous said...

beautiful story!
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet tribute to your FIL.  Happy Father's day to him in Heaven.  Hugs and GBU, Shelly