Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Flag Day

            http://americanhistory.si.edu/ssb/opening.html

Table : The Star-Spangled Banner
(from the
Star-Spangled Banner article)

Oh! say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh! say, does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream.
'Tis the Star-Spangled Banner. Oh! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Oh! thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation,
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto—"In God is our trust."
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

 

    Inspired by these three decades of state and local celebrations, Flag Day - the anniversary of the Flag Resolution of 1777 - was officially established by the Proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson on May 30th, 1916. While Flag Day was celebrated in various communities for years after Wilson's proclamation, it was not until August 3rd, 1949, that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.http://www.usflag.org/history/flagday.html

    Happy Flag day everyone.  Driving down our avenue of Flags is truely a glorious site.

                                 

    I just got up from sleeping pretty good last night.  I am happy about that.  Work last night was good.  I ate good and kept to my plan while everyone else ate pizza. ( I already got my pizza craving taken care of the other day).  Tonight will be difficult.  We are having a pot luck to celebrate our telemetry techs birthday.  Not a calorie free thing to be seen including what I will bring.  I had Rick pick up some pulled pork for sandwiches.  I can't go to much trouble when I sleep all day and have to work at 7.

                                

    My son saw the surgeon today.  He has terrible varicose veins.  No one can believe that someone his age hasthem so bad.  The doctor wants him checked out for blood clots first before he operates and then wants to do surgery on the 29th of this month.  Now Dan, my son, says he has to check with his work because he can't leave them short and that they need to hire some people.  Why did he make the appointment if he isn't going to get it done as soon as possible?  He is in alot of pain from them.  The doctor thinks they are bad enough he should get them taken care as soon as possible.   Anyway I am glad he is getting them looked at.  He rides miles on his bike and it is starting to affect his riding not to mention standing at work. Wed. he gets a doppler to make sure he has no clots.  I was upset its a week a way if they think that is a possibility.

                               

   When I got up there was a package from UPS on the table.  Great, now my camera arrives!  It wasn't though.  My son got some books he ordered in Dec.  He had forgotten he even ordered them it took so long.  Where had they been all this time?  I suppose 4 months from now my camera will show up.

                                   

    Still having charlie horses.  It is hard to sleep restfully when your afraid to stretch or turn over because it will trigger them.  It is always in the back of my mind.  Why am I getting so many of them?  I haven't worked out since Thursday of last week since I have been working.  I am eating banana's.  I increased my calcium.  Sign.

                                       

   I was reading about the inhaler I take for my asthma.  Qvar.  The more I read the more I do not want to continue to take it.  It doesn't state you might get Osteoporosis, it states you WILL get it.  25% of patients then go on to get a fracture because of it.  You can get cataracts, glaucoma, all kinds of things.

                                        

     If you read the side effects of drugs you would be afraid to take any.  I always read them, I am a nurse and I like to know what I put in my body.  I understand they list every possible thing that could ever happen and most people have no problems at all.  When it says you WILL have problems though it made me stop short.  Wait a minute.  I already have a back that they told me is bad enough I will break if I fall. Don't think I don't think about that while I am riding my bike.  I have been lifting weights and exercising like  crazy to prevent it and now I am taking some drug that is going to make it even worse!  That's crazy. 

                                              

     I still believe if I stay out of chlorine I will not have a attack as bad as the one I did the day I ended up in the hospital.  As long as I have the inhaler I can take as needed that isn't a steroid I feel that should be enough.  SoI am going to taper myself off of the inhaler like a good little nurse and stop taking it.  I don't see the doctor until August so I should know by then if not taking it is making my asthma worse and if just using my rescue inhaler will be enough.  No I do not recommend patients taking themselves off their medications.  But nurses make terrible patients.

                                

   It is hot and humid here.  Since Dan is sick we are going to have chicken and noodles for supper.  That is fine with me.  With what I ate last night and the supper I should only have around 1300 calories in.  I will drink a ton of water tonight at work so I am too full to eat much.  My day off is tomorrow so if I don't sleep long thats fine.  When I get up I am going to hit the gym.  So thats my day today.  Have a great Wed. J-land.

                                

    I forgot to tell about my NSV at work last night!  I was standing at the desk when a nurse from a different floor came over.  She said she didn't recognize me until I turned around I had lost so much weight.  Now what is weird is I saw her only 2 weeks ago.  Time to measure and see if I have lost some inches.

  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

True...Drs & Nurses make terrible pts most of the time. I like to pride myself on trying to be the best pt I can because I know what it's like to have a bitchy know it all pt, having had many over the yrs! LOL
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

good job on the weight loss:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I love your flag graphics! Congratulations on your NSV....it always feels so good when others notice our efforts. The warning labels on meds always scare me, I just scan them and that's all...if I focused on it, I wouldn't take them at all and I know I need to! It would be worse being a nurse.....too much knowledge! :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!    That had to be a great feeling....  I sure hope your asthma behaves, and you can get off that inhaler permanently.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Boy you are so right about Doctors and nurses being the worst patients....GEESH!!  Myself included!!  My doc and I have had many "discussions" of things! LOL!  He's been taking care of me since 1989 (when I got a job with him!).  I whine....he listens....and then he ultimately does what HE wants anyway.  As long as I know his rationale I'm ok with most of it.
So glad you are getting comments on your weight loss!! Congrats!!  I'm sure that gives you even MORE incentive to stick with your program, doesn't it?
Enjoy your evening.
Pamela