Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Men!

     

       We were all ready to go for our bike ride today.  The bikes were packed, the ice bags and drinks ready and we had a small storm roll through.  It delayed us about 3 hours and then off we went.  Since it was late by now we just did the short ride at Adams.  It was hot and extremely humid after the rain but all in all a nice ride.  I stopped to put more ice in my water and noticed Rick was really sweating.  I mean really sweating and just not looking right.  The darn man was in A-Fib again and hadn't told me.  Before the ride!  There are 2 types of A-fib, controlled where your heart rate is under 100 and uncontrolled where your heart rate is over 100.  Rick has uncontrolled and has had rates as high as 200.  His blood pressure will usually reflect the heart rate by being extremely dangerously high also.  I was so mad I could have kicked his butt.  We should not have been riding and he should know better.  Of course we had about 5 miles left to go by the time I found out.  I told him if he collapsed and died out there I was going to kick his sorry butt before I started CPR.  Men!  Anyway we made it home alive and he is still in A-fib.  He refuses to go to the hospital because usually if he sleeps it goes away.  One of these days it won't.  I have gotten pretty good at recognizing the signs since he won't tell me.

   I have been doing well keeping on plan.  My portions are great.  For lunch I took a mini bagel, put low fat garden vegetable cream cheese and 3 thin slices of turkey and had that and an apple.  I remember once where I would have gotten the biggest bagel I could find.  Supper was shrimp liguini in garlic sauce with brocolli.  I drank my sports drink also after the ride and hope I don't wake up with a charlie in the morning like I had today.

   Already I am feeling so much better since I am back on the Advair.  I can take a full breath and the chest tightness is gone along with my cough.  I used my rescue inhaler before the ride and didn't have any problems.  As a nurse you would think I would know lots about asthma but I don't work with it much so have been doing some reading.  After reading about all the symptoms I have finally admitted that I really do have this.  I kept thinking in the back of my head that he was wrong and it was something else.  I just hope I can keep it controlled and keep on with my exercises.  I have increased my calcium to help with bone loss.  I can handle this.  Don't want to but I can.

  Tomorrow is my last day off.  The time just flys.  I have to tackle cleaning out the fridge tomorrow, I hate that job and I want to move the stove and clean.  I always put off my deep cleaning until my last day.  I did do laundry though today.  Lazy me it is still in the dryer so I will have to iron tomorrow also.  I only have one package to mail tomorrow.

   Starting to get nervous.  No camera yet. I kind of expected it today.  I worry since we are gone so much that if they leave it on the porch someone will come by and steal it.  I won't relax until I have it in my hands.  I have seen so many photo ops that I missed because I don't have the camera yet.  The goldfinches bathing at the river edge, the tiny fawn, the hawk eating its prey.  I want my camera.  Whine whine.  Oh well.  I will meditate tonight and focus on patience.  My meditation in the morning as been working on my yoga breathing and deeping my lung capacity.  I got my incentive spirometer out and have been using that.

   Tomorrow after I clean the kitchen I will hit the gym.  My son goes in for a doppler study on his legs, but I think he can handle that on his own.  I feel the need to lift some weights.

   Well, night all. 

    

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Rick converts to Normal Sinus overnight.  I can't believe he didn't tell you!  You're right....MEN!!
Hope you get the camera!  I'm sure it's ok....sometimes the packages I get take DAYS to arrive.  And then others come in a few days.  I don't get it.
Have a good night.~~~~Pamela

Anonymous said...

OMGosh....men is right!! I hope Rick is back to normal soon, I will be praying for him.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

I think you should have kicked Rick's butt anyway.   And for his punishment, make him clean out the fridge.   He should have to move the stove and clean, too.   That'll learn him, dern him!  
Both my sisters have asthma, and both of them are nurses.   hmm.
~Meg