Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Today is the Ride.

                               

   It's a beautiful day in Iowa today and suppose to get up into the 90's.  The long bike trip is today.  Unfortunately we both slept terrible.  Some animal was outside last night and my dog was going nuts.  Probably a raccoon trying to get into the garbage.  We have to fasten the lids down on the garbage as they are quite good at opening them.  Rick went to get ice and I'm getting things ready.  Wish I had slept better. 

   My son is at the doctors this morning to see about getting his varicose veins fixed in this legs and then will be around in case we need him.  The hardest part now will be getting Rick out the door before noon when it is the very hottest it can be.  I want to check out the winds today also as I do not want to be riding in 40 mile winds.  I got mad at Rick for doing it last week so don't want to turn around and do the same thing. 

   We are bringing a sandwich, veggie chips and hummus, plus 2 large bottles of water each.  I am also packing extra ice so we can refill the water.  Both of us have coolers rigged up to the back of the bikes.  I can't forget to bring my inhaler as I had to use it yesterday and boy did it help.  I was breathing like a teenager after I used it. 

   Rick is afraid I will become dependent on it.  Well if using it so I can breath means I am coming dependent, so be it.  It is so wonderful to have something to help after all these months of being not able to catch my breath.  Unless you have had that terrible feeling you can't realize how great it is to take a deep natural breath of fresh air.  He still doesn't agree I have asthma though.  He thinks it is an allergy to chlorine as he never thought that was healthy to be swimming in that stuff.  I tried to explain about different things triggering asthma but sometimes he is such a stubborn mule.  Oh well.  Honestly I am having a hard time adjusting to it also, but since I know how good this doctor I saw is I do trust him.

   I am actually going to wear shorts out on public today!  I know that sounds strange, but I don't think I ever have done it because of my size.  No matter how hot, I wear pants as I hated my legs.  I was looking at them just now and wonder when they got so strong looking!  They are slimmer and I have ankles and muscle tone.  My edema is down today.  They are not the skinniest legs, but so what.  I am going to be as cool as possible today to make this ride a success.  This is another first for me as an adult.  I was a thin active child.  Now a heavy but active adult.  I am accepting my body and happy it is strong enough to let me do the things I like to do.  First capri's, now shorts.  Wow.  What next, sleeveless blouses?

    Well, I sure can just go on and on.  Time to get ready.  No more coffee as I don't want to be going to the restroom.  I had my slim fast and a half a banana.  Did my meditation, have to do my stretches before the ride and then I am off. 

   My Prayer,  Please let me do this ride without any problems for either of us.  Please keep us safe when we ride on the streets.  Please let me complete the entire 35 miles. I thought is was longer but that is what Rick says we will be doing today.

   Just checked the weather,  here it is. Sounds perfect for riding. Check out that wind.  I am bringing my camera so will probably add pictures to my Ride around Sioux City site.  I am still looking for pictures from everyone elses hometown.  Also the photo assignment today is to take a picture of something starting with M.  What will I find?  Today: Mostly sunny, with a high around 89. Southeast wind around 5 mph.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie!  You are doing wonderful!  I remember when you first started out and now look at you!!!!!!!   Have a great time on your bike ride and you look WONDERFUL!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are doing soooo good on this bike riding!!  I hope the ride today is enjoyable for both of you.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

enjoy the ride i hope all went well

Deb

Anonymous said...

I hope the ride went well and I'm proud of you for wearing shorts.....good for you!!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

You know, my 15 yo will not go out in shorts either.  She just will not.  And if we go to the beach she either won't go or will wear pants.  Crazy!  And I think she has nice legs....very white...but nice. lol  GBU, Shelly