Saturday, June 3, 2006

Bikes

  Deciding on a bike is a personal thing, what type of riding you do, the area you live in, your age and fitness level.   The first bike I rode was an autobike.  I bought it for my husband and he didn't care for it.  I started riding it because I was intimidated by all the gears and shifting on regular bikes.  The autobike shifts by itself.  I liked the autobike because it got me into riding.  It is heavy and more expensive then it needs to be though and I don't recommend it.  Shifting is easy when you get the hang of it.

    Also physical condition plays a role in picking out a bike.  I have alot of fused bones in my back.  Bending over a bike frame is painful and difficult.  I have carpel tunnel so the rounded handlebars aggrevated my condition.  I needed a comfortable bike or I wouldn't ride.  Thus the comfort bike I decided on.  Comfort bikes or Hybred bikes have larger seats, you sit upright, and handlebars are straight, and the tires are wider so you feel safer which was important to me since I ride on the streets in traffic at times.  I don't want to fall into a car.  Price was also important since I couldn't afford the type of money on a bike like my son spends.  The trek Navigator I bought, see link, http://journals.aol.com/midwestvintage/JulieLosesitMyWeightLossJourney/entries/1389  is perfect for me but I have seen simular bikes made by Eddie Fischer, Specialized, Cannondale plus others.Wheelworks_Bicycles_HYBRID and COMFORT 

    Another thing that stopped me from riding originally was I felt silly being a large woman on a bike.  Who was I kidding!  Now that my self image is better I don't give a hoot what anyone thinks.  When I am zooming along with the wind in my face and the birds singing, the smell of flowers in the air I feel like singing it is so much fun.  Of course the hills suck, but that will get better.  And I see all age groups and size groups on the trails.

   So Mary I guess the best thing to do is go to a bike shop and try on some bikes for fun or if your in a larger town rent on and see how you like it first. Make sure it is adjusted to fit you as that is very important for comfort.  The 2nd bike ride will be easier then the first and the 3rd easier then the 2nd.  In no time 10 miles will zip by and you'll be looking for longer and longer trails.  Then come to Iowa and do the Bike ride across Iowa with me.Welcome to RAGBRAI.org

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to get me a bike.....and get back working out...I haven't done anything since my surgery..hope you have agreat weekend...TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

I've got two nice bikes....I used to ride along the ocean on the sidewalk.  Maybe I'll start up again this year.  Reading your journal is motivating me to do it.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy biking....though we haven't pulled the bikes out this year, and should have a month or two ago!     Reading about your adventures encourages me to get on with the program!
~Meg