Friday, June 23, 2006

Weight loss challenge at work

      We are having a 3 month weight loss challenge at work starting July 1st.  We each put in $5.00 and weigh in once a week.  Each pound gained costs you .25 ¢.  The one who lost the most was going to get the money, but one of the women in the contest has had gastric bypass and can lose weight really fast.  She has too much of an advantage so we will have some type of treat planned for the end.  Maybe movie tickets for something.  We will see how much money we have in the end.  This is just what I needed to get back into the swing of things.  I am pretty competitive and if I have to weight in front of someone I will make sure I am down.  I am going to be taking before and after pictures with my new camera.

  Work was OK last night.  I was charge but everyone had a smooth night, no emergencies so if was good.  3 more nights to go.

   Here is a good recipe.  It is a vegetable dish and I change it around alittle, brown rice for starters and I like spinach tossed in the last few minutes.  I spice it up also with some cajun spice.  Fresh tomatoes and ingredients are better of course.  Hope you like. 

      Everytime we make a new dish we sit around tasting it and ask each other, this is good, how can we make it better.  It use to drive my MIL nuts as she always took it personally, but now she knows we do it with everything.  Its a high compliment to her when we can find no way to improve.  All recipes should be adjusted to your own personal tastes, don't you think?

Zucchini Mediterranean Style
Submitted by: Joe Belmont
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 11 members
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 6 servings

"Zucchini, tomatoes, and beans make a tasty topper for rice or egg noodles!"
INGREDIENTS:

2 cups water
1 cup long grain white rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper,
chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole
peeled tomatoes, chopped
3 cups finely chopped zucchini
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini
beans, drained

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a separate medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, red bell pepper, and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in tomatoes and zucchini, and season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir cannellini beans into the tomato and zucchini mixture, and continue cooking about 10 minutes. Serve over the cooked rice.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to do a weight loss challenge where I work, but I don't want to have to tell anyone how much I weigh!  lol   HEY!  watch out for the pound I lost!  lol
~Meg

Anonymous said...

i CAN ALMOST SMELL THIS GOOD FOOD--TOOOO GOOD!!
-----Granny MARY

Anonymous said...

The weight loss challenge at your work sounds like a great ideal!
Good luck! ;)
Your recipe sounds yummy!
Hugs, Sug

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the challenge.  I think it's a great idea!!  The recipe sounds yummy!  Have a good night at work.
Pam

Anonymous said...

yummy recipe sounds good :) have a good weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

The challenge sound fun and they usually do a good job of motivating me! Good luck, I'm pulling for you to win all the mooooo la :) The recipe sounds really yummy....thanks for sharing it.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Great recipe and looks like one great challenge!!!
Good luck and enjoy...hugs and love,
Joyce