Saturday, June 10, 2006

Charlie Horses

                                   

    I woke up out of a sound sleep with the dreaded charlie horses in both legs.  From what I have been reading it is common to get these within 3 days of a period of extreme activity like a 30 mile bike ride for example.  Since I am always doing extreme activity these day I get them alot. Searching for relief I came across this article.

The only other surefire way to avoid cramps is to prevent them: first, by avoiding the combination of severe stress and unfamiliar movements; and second, by doing a thorough warm-up, stretching, and gradually increasing the intensity of your workouts. All these measures contribute towards optimal coordination. Nutrition Nutrition also plays an important role. The body needs sufficient amounts of calcium and magnesium to support optimal muscular function. Because the body cannot manufacture these two minerals, it must be supplied with them in foods and beverages. An inadequate supply of calcium and magnesium can lead to problems with muscular coordination. Mineral deficiency generally manifests itself as an increased tendency to suffer muscle cramps and "charlie horse". The best sources of calcium are milk and dairy products (e.g. yogurt, cultured milk, cheese, etc.). Milk and dairy products are the only sources of calcium that are worthy of mention; if no such foods are eaten, then one should definitely drink calcium-rich mineral water (150 mg of calcium per 100 ml of water) or eat calcium-enriched foods such as breakfast cereals or special energy bars. The best way to improve one's supply of magnesium is to drink a suitable mineral water that contains at least 50 mg of magnesium per 100 ml of water. Athletes are particularly at risk because increased perspiration causes greater mineral losses, and these losses must be compensated for. Dehydration can also manifest itself as problems with muscular coordination or as cramps, so athletes should drink mineral-rich athletic beverages before and during workouts, especially when the temperatures are high and the stress is intensive.

    OK,  I don't do a good enough warm up.  Although I am drinking water the entire time, it us usually just water with lemon juice which is probably dehydrating me even faster.  I work a long 4 day stretch and then on my first day off indulge in make up exercising to compensate for the days I missed.  I stretch after my exercises, but not enough and not every time. 

    There are things I can do and will do from now on to help me rid myself of these painful and unnecessary leg cramps.  A good sport drink for the days I am working out excessively for one.  I am not fond of them, but I don't like leg cramps either.  I already take a huge amount of calcium because of my bones.  I will make sure I do my stretches before and after my exercise. 

    In Curves they always said you lose 15% of your workout by not stretching afterward.  When I was in curves I always ended my workout with stretches.  Not since I joined the gym.  I am probably self-concious enough about doing the stretches in front of the human contortionist that I see there, able to casually wrap a leg behind their neck.  Able to do every yoga move with ease and grace where every type of activity usually leaves me with a beat red sweaty face.  Even now a year later I always look like I am dying when I workout.  I don't feel like I am, but I do look like it is killing me to be doing what I am doing.  Must go so much against my nature it shows!

   So I will do better.  Ich werde von meinen Fehlern lernen. 

   Now for another thing.  The 5 pounds is gone.  You all were right.  Probably swelling muscles for working out, fluid gain, you name it those pesky pounds are gone.  I was worriedit was from the steroid inhaler I am on. Qvar.  It is giving me hot flashes just like I had when I first went through menopause after my surgery.  Very uncomfortable on a 104 degree day like we had yesterday, it is 64 today by the way. 

    I have gone into fluid overload from steroids before so always hate to be on them.  I also hate to be on it because of my bone problems.  I have increased my calcium intake to off set them.  The doctor says the inhalers don't have the same systemic effect as the pills would but the information package does say it could cause bone brittleness.  Hopefully the longer I am on the inhaler the less the side effects will become.

   Yesterday my total intake was 1320 calories.  Today so far I have 890 so that leaves a good amount for supper and a snack if I get time at work.  I didn't have time yesterday but you never know.  I feel very good about staying on plan.  No cravings, no temptations so it is a good thing.

   Well, another long drawn out entry.  Hope everyone is having a great wonderful weekend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drink a good sports drink, & have a banana every day. It helps a lot. The stretches are very important!
Hugs, Sug

Anonymous said...

i find gatorade or powerade helps:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

They way I look when I work out is one reason I will do it in private...even though I pay the YMCA every month.   Hope the added stretching/warm ups and sports drink help the Charley horse problem.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the info on charlie horses...very useful info for us that love exercise.  I need to start a regiment of somekind...sounds like you are doing great and love your attitude about it all.
Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

hI, that was so interesting and helpful.I am going to change my ways again and try to do more exercise and take more calcium.My doc says that I am hormonal at the moment, and exercise helps if you take it easy and wind down slowly.

Rach.xxx

Anonymous said...

I've been so behind on my journal reading.  I'm glad you have a plan to avoid the cramping.  That's so miserable!  Good luck!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Julie, I've also heard that a lack of potassium can make the cramps in your legs happen  more frequently.