Wednesday, November 1, 2006

What's for dinner, Sinful supper

Today is my MIL's birthday, 85 years old. Wow.  She still lives alone and is still alert, slightly forgetful, but she doespretty darn good.   Anyway I am making her supper tonight.   Now this seems like a weird birthday meal I know but I had the corned beef and she loves cabbage.   This is a different way to prepare it and from the reviews it looks pretty darn good. Corned Beef and Cabbage II - Allrecipes Hope she likes it.  I love all Recipes because if the recipe is for 8 and you want to make it for 2 you just put that in and it figures it all out for you.  How easy is that.  They have a ton of low fat recipes, this isn't one of them, and a large south beach section.

  We also bought her 3 dozen mini roses in varied colors.  At her age she needs little but really loves flowers so that made her happy and not having to cook will make her happy also.    I also made her a cake.  I included the recipe for it also as it is so good.  I slim it down with low fat things and sugar subtitute.

Corned Beef and Cabbage II


Original recipe yield: 8 servings

PREP TIME

15 Min

COOK TIME

4 Hrs

READY IN

4 Hrs 15 Min

INGREDIENTS

1 (5 1/2 pound) corned beef brisket

2 tablespoons pickling spice

1 large orange, sliced in rounds

2 stalks celery, sliced

1 large onion, sliced

1/2 cup cold water

6 tablespoons margarine, divided

1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced

1 cup Golden Delicious apples, cored and quartered with peel

1/4 cup cold water

                                   DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch roasting pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough extra extending over the sides to cover and seal in the roast.

Rinse the brisket, and pat dry. Rub with pickling spice, and place in the prepared roasting pan. Arrange celery, orange and onion slices on and around the roast. Pour in 1/2 cup of water, and wrap aluminum foil up over the roast tightly, making sure the ends are sealed.

Bake for about 4 hours in the preheated oven, or until meat is tender.

About 45 minutes before the roasts time is up, heat 3 tablespoons of margarine and 1/4 cup of water in a large pot. Add cabbage and apples, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes. Occasionally shake the pot so that nothing sticks to the bottom. Serve with remaining margarine and sliced corned beef

                         Rosie's Cake

1 stick butter                                       2 eggs

2 c. sugar                    

                     Mix together

1 large can crushed pineapple with the juice                               2 c. flour, sifted

1/2 c. chopped walnuts                                                                   2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp vanilla

            Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes

          Cream cheese frosting.

1/2 stick margarine                                          1 large pkg. cream cheese

2 powdered sugar.

            So with this menu on board for supper tonight along with the potatoes and homemade bread my husband is making my diet is really going to be put to the test.  I am drinking a ton of water today and only had slim fast for breakfast and lunch. 

     The good news.   My infection is better.  The redness is alot less and the opening is already closing.  I am hoping when I see the doctor on Monday and he releases me for work that I can pick up some extra days so I am not short on my check.

    In 2 days it is my 33 years anniversary.  I would love to go out somewhere nice to eat but am not sure if we should with the money so tight so I am looking for some special meal to make at home.  He loves garlic pasta so maybe that with some jumbo shrimp and some type of veggie. Nice bottle of wine and then a hot buttered rum after.  Candles and the whole works.

   We were talking the other day about what attracted us to each other.  I truly believe pheromones have alot to do with it and my husband agrees.  He is always asking me what am I wearing when I am not wearing anything and says smelling me still gets him arroused even after all these years, personal I know but you know what I mean.  He also truly believes I am better looking then I was 33 years ago now that I have matured.  Thank goodness for poor eyesight but we are both happy we stuck it out through the tuff years and gave each other the chance to get to this stage in our lifes.  He is my best friend and I love him.

    So that is my day today.  Not much going on.  We drove around alittle yesterday to see the kids but there sure weren't many around.  Maybe they all to parties?  Almost hit one little one dressed all in black who darted out in the street so we returned home.  That would sure ruin your day.

No comments: