Monday, November 27, 2006

I survived

                        mammogram cartoon

             I survived and I'm sorry, It Hurt!  Yikes I don't remember it hurting that bad.  Maybe it was because my new small set is denser and maybe not 100 % recovered or maybe the woman's technique was poor, but this was the worse one I ever had.  "Hold your breath", she said, "don't breath or move!" "Can I scream", I asked!  She thought I was joking, I wasn't.  WWWHHHHAAAAAAA. 

    So then she says to sit in the dressing room while she checks the pictures to make sure they are OK.  The other woman there are looking at each others like survivors.  We Alone survived.  One by one the tech came in and released the lucky woman who sprang to their feet and happily ran.....free for another year.  My tech came out.  "OK Julie, I need to get one more picture"!  "NO" I cried, "Sob".  With dragging feet I followed her back to torture room number 5,  Cheerfully she said, "We might as well repeat both again to see if we can get a better picture".  What!  "Its just the scar tissue", I wailed!  So once again I was flattened to unbelievable thinness in the vice from hell.  I'll tell you anything I cried,.... you can have my first born........ Please, I'll be good from now on, no more cheating on my diet, no more tasting the grapes at the store, let this horror end soon.  And then it was my time to leave.  Cradling my sore and tender breasts in my arms I ran from the building into my husbands alarmed arms.  "Are you OK", he asked shocked!  Noooooooo, sob, yes yes.  It's over.  However next week the doctor gets back from vacation and will read it.  Well she ask to have the test repeated?  Is the horror not over yet?   Time will tell.

   Maybe by next week I will be completely invisible.  If you can't see my breasts they must be disease free.  Gone like my budda tummy how could they take pictures of them.  And I think I am getting more invisible.  At the store a woman ran into me with her cart.  Sorry she snapped, I did't see you.  Driving home a car almost ran into my car.  Does it spread to what I am riding in? 

    One of my feminist friends said my invisibility is due to "The use of ‘he’ ‘him’ rather than he/she, him/her or’ person’, promotes the invisibility of women and counters the need to present women as an important social category. It also negates 20 years of active efforts to promote the rights of womenHummmmmm, she always did have issues though.

    So I am off today.  Of course I didn't get to be until 11:30 and then only slept until 3:30 so I could sleep tonight.  And I have to study for my ACLS renewal.  That is advanced cardiac life support.  I hate this class.  It makes you run a code like your the doctor and you have to know all the heart rhythms, call out the drugs and doses and tell them what joules to use when shocking. 

    It didn't use to be so bad but we have so many drug changes these days and the woman who teaches the class is a very high strung type person who gets the entire class high strung.  It doesn't matter that in a real code the doctor calls for all the drugs and doses.  I could not imagine telling a couple of them, "excuse me but don't you think this drug would be a better choice?   Yah right, goodbye head".  I mean, I work in a trauma hospital, the code team is there so fast that I barely have time to start compressions and many times they beat the code cart.  I love that in a code team.  But....it is part of my job so I will spend tonight and tomorrow studing for the Wednesday class.  That will be a long day.  Class from 8 am to 12 noon,  then work from 7p to 7am.  I have to be charge that night at 11 so I will be tired.

   Well, I will close now and get busy with my homework.  Take care everyone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoy your day off:) good luck with your test

Deb

Anonymous said...

.....and folks wonder why I don't do mammograms.  
Your chosen field must be very very rewarding, I'm not sure I could take the stress....I'd end up a patient!
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hope you get some rest on your day off. good luck on the test.
glad the mammagram is over! :) Molly

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry the mammo was so awful.  They hurt all the time for me.  They squish me down to the chest muscle.  UGH!
I don't know how you do those hours working nights.  I could never attend a class and be functional that night for work. No way!
Take care....Pam

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie;
I have to go and have a mammogram.  I'm 45.  Your entry has me soooo looking forward to going! lol.  I'm a 42 long now.  haha I wonder how thin they'll make me?  I remember working in a rehab hospital as a CNA and having to take the RED CROSS HEART SMART and learn CPR for adults and children as well as to work the defibralator. (sp)  Certified everytime but I hated the all day thing.  High strung teachers stress me so badly that they may be practicing on me.  Your code team sounds like the kind I'd be wanting to work on me if I ever needed it.  They sound awesome.  I'm still battling the bulge over here.  Since I've been eating out more, I've gained over twenty pounds in two months.  Budda Belly is back.  I'm up to 250 AGAIN.  And Christmas is coming!  How in the world am I going to make it?  I've always got the munchies.  Rabbit food isn't helping.  I so respect you for your successes in this area.
NELISHIA
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/

Anonymous said...

Ok now I never want to get a mammogram cause I didn't it hurt that bad, and YOu know what?  Mine are always sore anyways. lol  Nah, just kidding..I will do it when the time comes, for my children's sake at least.  I'm glad you got it over with. Hugs and GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

We have some new digital mammography equipement where it isn't necessary not to breath...lol...you are right, though, who can breathe when being squeezed to death.  Sometimes they hurt; sometimes not.  I think some techs crush far more than others.  I think I prefer the crushing even if it hurts because it provides a better reading.  Hope your girls feel better soon.  HUGS Chris