Sunday, January 14, 2007

Where the deer play

                            

  Isn't the tag beautiful that Donna made me?  She does lovely work, Thanks Donna.

  Making supper today I looked outside and watched the deer in the back yard.  I had put out seed for the birds and the deer were all there, about 9, raiding my feeders.  They looked pretty fat and healthy so I was pretty sure they weren't starving, LOL.  In the back woods I saw a deer going ripping through, leaping over downed trees and sailing over my woodpile.  Close behind ran another.  How they can run so fast through the woods is a mystery.  I watched to see if there was a dog or 2 on their trail.  Suddenly back they came.  For the next 15 minutes 3 to 4 of the younger deer, babies this spring played tag in the woods.  They did mock fighting when they met and then turned and leaped off again.  The older does looked at them and seemed to shake their heads, Oh to be young again, LOL.

   Although I don't live in a fancy neighborhood or house I love where I live.  I like to look out the picture window and see the wildlife in my backyard.  We have seen the deer of course everyday but also have seen an occasional red fox, a mountain lion once, wild turkey, pheasent, wood ducks with their babies and all manner of song birds.  Once a large red tailed hawk landed under the plum tree to enjoy its meal and we have huge barn owls.  Most don't stick around for my camera but I have taken some pictures.  And I don't have any real close neighbors.  When I look out my window I am not looking into my neighbors house.  I love that.  I pray they never come and build on the lots next to us. 

  As you can see we got snow.  It has been snowing all day and is suppose to snow tomorrow also.  Sigh.  At least we didn't get ice.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful creatures.... and you have to admit that snow is beautiful, too.    Any window in my house I look out of, there's a house.    Wish it were not so.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

I would love to live where you live and see that outside my window.  You are so blessed.  
Beautiful deer.
Pam

Anonymous said...

aawww thanks... you're so sweet :)
Love the pictures!!  Awesome shots
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Julie that is absolutely exquisite. How lucky you are to see the wildlife make your home a part of it's habitation. Wow. My brother lives in 8 acres of woods in Penna. and he talks about the black bears that come on his land to check out his garbage cans and sniff around the grille etc.
Me, I would be hanging from the ceiling if I saw a bear on my pack porch!
xox Doreen :)))))

Anonymous said...

Oh, to live in a house you love!!  I love my house, too!  Have you seen the cookie cutter houses now??  They're practically on top of each other.  My cousin lived in a house where the kitchen sink had a window, and faced the window of the next door neighbor!  They could have a conversation...there was MAYBE 4 feet between them.  UGH!!  I love to be able to see wildlife too.  I mean, hey, they were here before us!!  lol...]
xoxo ~myra

Anonymous said...

Trust me, you are more fortunate to live where you do and have the views that you do, than those that live in the big expensive houses.  Count your blessings.  If you were to move, you would be taking pictures of Mercedes Benzes, BMWs, and Lexuses (or is it just Lexus like Moose?).  That is the only indigenus wild life in suburbia.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I would have to loved to have seen those deer playing. I have seen that once in my lifetime and I haven't ever forgotton it. The young ones were doing as you described. We passed by a herd of around 10 that had several babies in it. Helen

Anonymous said...

How I love these pictures of the above deer Julie.  My backgarden faces onto a woodland too and we get deer visiting regularly but I can never get as close as this to photograph them.  You are so lucky! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We haven't had any snow yet in Pa.  I live in a rural area with about 1/2 acre between my house and the woods.  We have deer all through our yard.  I love to watch them.  My daughter, Megan, is terrified of them.  We laugh at her so much.  Love your pictures.  Chris

Anonymous said...

What is it about deer....I love to watch them...Maybe its because their is a quiet when deers are around...they are beautiful..these pictures by the way, WONDERFUL...your sooooo good with your camera...I have no idea how long it took to get these pictures but I appreciate them....~Raven

Anonymous said...

that is so cool.  We don't get to see very much wildlife here.  Thanks for sharing.  love, Shelly