Friday, January 12, 2007

Another Rant

  OK just imagine this.  Your living in a nice little town, say 14,000 people.  Close by is a large town you can work in but its not where you would want to live.  Too crowded, too much crime, you don't care for the politics or the traffic.  You like you little town.  The taxes are fairly affordable.  You may work in this small town as a policeman or fireman.  Raised your family here for generations and everyone knows your name.  Can you picture it?

   Now imagine the large city next to you.  Urban sprawl at it worse.  Thousands of new houses going up yearly, each on looking like the one next to it, cheaply constructed but twice what your older well built home cost you 30 years ago.  Getting closer and closer.  Farms give way to acreages, acreages give way to HillView Heights or some other ridiculous named complex.  Before you know it the large city is knocking at your door.  Wanting to devour your lovely little city.  Take you into its cold corrupt fold.  They don't want your policeman, or fireman, or clerks if it means lowering their standards!  They just want your property, your tax dollars, your homes.

   Well this can't happen you say.  There are laws to protect us.  Even our mayor doesn't want this.  You take it to court.  You take it to the Supreme Court. AND YOU LOSE!  How can this be.  This house you were born in.  This house your daddy built.  This town you raised your children in.

   ONLY IN THE USA FOLKS.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/01/12/45a7b7788092e

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hardly seems fair.    They take individual's land/homes, too.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Happens all over.  We just got annexed by the city to the West of us.  We didn't ask for it, and resisted it, but they came and took over anyway.

Greg

Anonymous said...

We used to be able to see for miles and look at beautiful woods....I would sit up in our loft and watch deer cross our yard early in the morning. The guy across the way owned everything...land and land and land! He was against subdivisions...he leased a lot of the land to hay farmers and such and believed in nature. So, when he died, he left everything to a University with the stipulation that the land be used for agriculture study. Within 36 hours of his death, they had found a loop hole and sold all of the land to a building company that puts up houses as fast as you can spit. It was taken to court by his little old wife and many of us testified in court, but....to no avail. There are now 4 separate, huge, subdivisions for miles up the road. No more woods, no more deer and our gorgeous old trees out in front by the road were cut down to widen the road for all the traffic. <sigh> Oh yeah, I believe it, Julie!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have visited.  I so enjoy your sense of humour and hope to visit again soon.  You sure put a smile on my face this morning when I read your chicken recipe.  Can I place it on my jornal and pass it on by e-mail to friends?  My name is Jeanie, aka magicgenii sometimes, and live in the English Lake district. I'm so glad I followed your link from Sybils Blog. Yours is brilliant as are the other links. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.  I'll be back....

Anonymous said...

So unfair...your right...it does happen everywhere.  How sad!
Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I moved to a rural county 45 miles from Pittsburgh.  So far, we have been safe from annexation but in my old neighborhood in the suburbs it's going full speed.  Scares me because I'm sure this place will be next because of the wide open spaces around.  Chris

Anonymous said...

It happens here in my town and I'm near LA.  The horse properties are all bought up for housing developments to be built.  Pretty soon we won't have a horse within miles around.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Its really screwed up. I guess nothing is really ours....Our government should ever be able to do that.........If the owner doesnt want to sell, its there given right.....


I actually took a youtube break tonight and visited blogs. I think people are wondering if I am still alive,lol.....I gotta get away from it. Its been like two months....Ok, its 4 am be back tomorrow to see how things are going for you.
.~Raven