Thursday, January 25, 2007

This and that

     Well my last night is over and I didn't escape unscathed.  Helping a patient to the commode who was less then stable I managed to twist my knee badly.  Felt like something tore.  It promptly swelled up and is very painful.  Ouch.  I iced it but am having trouble walking because it hurts so much.  So this morning I get to go to the workmans comp office getting tests.  But I'm tired. (Whine)  And work comp always will make you feel like you are faking it.  Even with my knee swollen twice it normal size they will make me feel bad.  I remember when I broke my back.  You could see the broken bones on my x-rays.  They still insinuated I was making more out of it then was necessary.  Sigh.  Hopefully it is just a nasty sprain.

   Now on to my MIL.  She aced her treadmill.  Impressed them all and shocked herself even.  Her echo was good.   The doctor says she has a blockage, but it is in a difficult place to get to by cath and  they feel she is too old for open heart to do a bypass.  So they are going to treat her medically if they can.  They increased all her meds and put her on some new ones.  Cost her over $300.00.  On top of her other meds that makes around $400.00 a month on medication.  She about had a heart attack on the spot.  No way will she be able to afford that.  So I am going to be making some calls today to see if she can get them cheaper somehow and if they come in generic.  She is home and in a complete panic about this.  I would be also.  I would just have to die, I would not be able to afford that every month.  I also am going to bring her the bean and beef soup for supper.  Except for the small blockage she is in remarkable shape for her age.

   We had 2 rapid responses and a code blue last night.  A rapid response is like a code except the patient hasn't died yet, but is very close and if you don't do something quick they will try to die.  Well we try very hard not to let that happen so we have a special team that comes and they help us stabilize the patient.  We had 2 newer nurses on and they each had one.  It is great experience for them, especially when there are experienced nurses on to walk them through it.  They both did great and kept their cool well.  You have to keep a level head and not panic and they did great.  Oh, we saved all the patients also, Yah for us.  I love a good code.

   Sound strange I know but I love the excitement.  Helping a patient who is so sick and moments from death recover, or one who has stopped breathing and their hearts have stopped getting them breathing and beating again.  Working as a team and doing the correct things to bring the patients back makes you feel good. 

    There are good codes and bad codes.  Good ones where the entire team does it alot and feel very comfortable in their rolls.  I have been in hundreds of codes and they don't scare me or throw me in a panic anymore.  When the whole team is like that it is like a well rehearsed play.  Every player has a role and knows exactly when and how to do it.  Some though are with people who don't have many codes.  They panic and don't know what to do next.  The code team is still there to run it, but it is more chaotic, less smooth.  Still exciting though.  Not that I am morbid but I like to see a job done well.

   We had a big plane crash here about 10 years ago.  You always wonder how you would handle a big disaster like that.  Could you hold up.  When it happened years of training takes over and you do your job automatically.  Afterwards it hits you but not at the time.  Makes you feel good.

   Well, I decide I am going to sleep for awhile and then go to the doctors and to my MIL.  I will hold up better is I have some sleep.    Night all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Night Julie!   Sleep well...you've earned it.  I hope your knee heals quickly and isn't too badly damaged?  
Forgive me but...it sounds like you're in Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago at work.....Lol!  ' The workman's Camp Office'?  Is that a nickname or for real?  
I'm glad your MIL has come through her tests with almost flying colours.  Sad that at her age, and in her health, that she has to suffer so much stress as to how to pay for her medicine. That makes me so cross! I'm so glad we have our National Health Service, even if we do pull it to pieces.
Bean and beef soup?  I just finishd the last of our vegetable and lentil...great for this cold weather!
I admire you and the job you do...That takes a special kind of person....well done!
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Hope your knee injury is minor!  Nursing IS the greatest profession in the world when things have a positive outcome.  There is no better feeling.  It's funny how our years of experience and training allow us to go on autopilot when an emergency occurs.

Anonymous said...

Glad you Mil did good on her test. Hope you didn't do a lot of damage to your knee. If you did I hope the workmans comp goes through without a lot of problems. Helen

Anonymous said...

Glad your MIL did ok. I hope your knee is alright and just sprained.  I didn't have trouble from worker's comp because I always go to my own Doc.  There's a form to sign at hiring that you request to go to your own doc if you get hurt. I always have signed that.  Thank God I did too, 'cause I was out with a back injury like you were.
Hope you have a good rest
Pam

Anonymous said...

So glad your MIL is out of the hospital and they at least will try to treat the blockage. Poor thing must have been scared stiff. Hope it all works out well. Mom here is 90 and did well all her life with health, she is facing surgery in the upcoming months for tumor removal in the colon so fingers are crossed here.
My older boy is going for a shot in the spine to help with his pain and line of motion so I sure hope Monday goes well for him. Hubby and I will take a trip down to see how he comes out.
Hope it's not a torn maniscus hon, prayers are with you on the knee, a strain is able to heal but hope it's nothing that requires surgery. Good Luck. Doreen :)))))

Anonymous said...

Sorry you hurt your knee, I hope it's something which will heal on it's own. We call the rapid response a 'crash call', in the UK. It's the same thing, different name! Glad your MIL did well in her tests but sorry to hear how much it's gonna cost her to stay alive. Makes me thankful for our health service over here! Jeannette xx