Monday, January 1, 2007

Medisterpølse and me dear old MIL

  This year my husband and I did the Medisterpølse entirely by ourselves.  That included buying the ingredients.  We asked my MIL what type of pork she bought. 

"Last year I just bought unseasoned pork".  "It is just as good as having them grind it".

"Do you have them double or triple grind it like the recipe calls for"?

"Never, it is fine the way it is".

"How many casings do you get and what do they cost?"

"I just tell them I need enough casings for 10 pounds of pork and they give me enough."  "No cost, they just throw them in the pork costs so much."

"You don't have to pay for the casings?"  "Didn't you say they were expensive?"

"No No, only if you have to get more."

OK, I could handle that.  Off we went to the store.  I bought the unseasoned pork and when I ordered the casings they asked me how many. 

"How many," I replied..... "Oh well, you know, enough to make 10 pounds worth of sausage!" 

"What would that be he asked?" 

"I don't have any idea, my MIL told me you would know, how much does it take you to make 10 pounds of sausage?" 

The 3 of them, kids as young or younger then my sons conversed and came up with what they thought would be enough.  Glancing at me like I was a mad woman.

"How much do they usually charge you he asked?" 

 "Well.... usually they give the casing free because of how much pork you bought," I replied confendently. 

"Really?"  He asked, "well..... OK."

   Getting to my MIL's we started getting everything ready. 

"That meat sure looks fat", she said.  "What type did you get?" 

"Well...what you said, pre-ground unseasoned pork."  

 "I usually have them grind mine for me." she states.

  "But you said this is what you did last year, you said it would be fine...."I sputtered.

  "No, I never said that."  "Never!"

  "You didn't get enough casings either."

"Well, when I told them they would know how much to give me this is what they gave me.

  "How would they know how much to give you for heaven's sake." "I hope you didn't pay full price for these."

"Pay....for the casings...... YOU said they were free."  "That is what I assured the men when I ordered them."

"No, I never would have said that, casings are expensive."  "How could you think I would say that."

  I looked at my husband in disbelieve.  Red in the face he busied himself chopping onions. Is this some sick joke?

  "Well, I am in too much pain to help you."  "I am going to lie on the couch."

  Faintly from the couch.  "Did you....mutter mutter mutter."

  What did you say? 

"Mutter mutter mutter"

Going to the couch, "what did you say?"

"Don't try to not put salt in it, it needs salt."

"I will put the salt in, I promise."  Back to the kitchen.

"Did you, mutter, mutter, mutter......"

"What, what did you say?"

"Oh well never mind....I won't bother you."

Stomping to the couch.  "What ,what did you SAY."

"Just that the meat sure looks pretty fat, buts its OK.  You didn't know...."

  The Medisterpølse were the worse we have ever make.  Gritting my teeth I silently swore to follow the exact recipe next year.  My MIL silently chewed.  "Not enough salt", she sighed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like that was quite exasperating for you! Lol! Bless your mother in law! Sorry they didn't turn out as well as you wanted. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/

Anonymous said...

OH man.....!  
Pam

Anonymous said...

LOL....next time don't ask!!      Speaking of asking...what ya gonna do with all that sausage?   Not that I've ever tried it, but it does sound like a lot.    
~Meg

Anonymous said...

OMG...that is too funny!  My mom is the same way...and she'll never 'fess up that she said what she did!!  ARGH!!  I've learned not to ask, and that still gets me in trouble.  Of course, I never put enough salt in anything!!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

hahahaaaa I am still laughing. Arent MIL's wonderful, they test your sanity and tweek at your compassion. hahahaaa Then when you are older you seem to slip into her shoes too. I remember mine and wished I had known her better.
Send me a recipe for your medisterpolse and good luck with the next batch.
:) Doreen

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I can just feel the total frustration.  Now what will you do with it all since it doesn't taste that great?  Next year, you might have to try and dig up a recipe.  Hope you have some of that hot buttered rum around your house somewhere.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there was a lot of confusion taking place. First one thing then another. Wonder if you could find the recipe online? Helen

Anonymous said...

LOL...sounds like an interesting conversation for sure!  Hugs,
Joyce