Saturday, January 6, 2007

I found a new rant!

   Ok, this is diet related but something happened that got me on this rant.  People who are overweight desperately want to lose weight.  Most have tried every diet and every diet fad out there.  You lose a few pounds and back it comes.  Because of this desire to lose weight scum bag people have sprung up touting this and that miracle weight loss pill or drink.  Increase your metabolism, burn fat, lose weight while your sleep, eat this and eat that, jiggle this and jiggle that.  Most the of the people parade before and after pictures of the wonderful results you get if you only fork out your hard earned dollars and buy their products.  They are fit healthy looking people and it all sounds so simple. 

   Problem is most of these don't work or if they do it is mostly getting rid of some water weight.  Some are downright dangerous.  Take that product and you might end up coming to see me and be sick the rest of your life....if you make it.

Alot are just vitamins, how dangerous can that be!  Water soluble vitamins you can take pretty high doses and not do any lasting harm.  Get some of those fat soluble vitamins building up in your body though and you can be in real danger.  They are stored and build up and too much of a good thing is just that, too much.

  I really like all my J-land friends.  I like people actually.  If you have any of those products sold on infomercials, shop at home, nutrition shops etc..... read the labels.  Before you take it ask your doctor to check the label and to check you for any underlying disease that may make taking this product life threatening.  And remember if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

   Now over the years I have fallen prey to some of these products.  Did they work?  Well I first get the product and read the instructions.  The fine print always say, use with a sensible diet and exercise program,  the pictures of all the success stories always say results not typical.  So if you take the pills or drink and follow a sensible diet, yes you will lose weight, but it is because you are eating right and maybe the pill or drink is dehydrating you slightly so you lose some water weight.  What gets the lightest though is your checkbook.

   Older has made me wiser.  There is no magic pill to lose weight.  It really is like the doctor said.  Eat less, eat well, and exercise.  Pure and simple. Choose your foods wisely.

   When I started my weight loss program I said I was throwing my diet out the window.  Basically I have.  My goal was to get healthy and not become a diabetic.  I kept tract of my calories and chose my foods for their healthy benefits rather then for the momentary taste.  Nothing is off my plan but everything is in moderation and treats are rare, not daily.  Now I slip and gain but mostly doing this I easily get back to eating right and slowly the weight is coming off.  No magic bullet, no quick fix, but tried and true.  That is why programs like Weight Watchers and South Beach work.  They teach you how to eat right and encourage exercise.  With WW you get more points meaning more to eat if you exercise....hey I like that, LOL.

   So with this little rant and rave.  I have a couple of sites I really like.  Read The New American Plate

http://www.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pub_nap_index_21 

Good information.  I like the Glycemic index....don't want to become a diabetic, http://www.glycemicindex.com/

I like this site showing old WW recipe cards, makes you lose your appetite, LOL http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

http://mypyramid.gov/pyramid/vegetables.html  Another good site.

http://www.lightandtasty.com/Default.aspx?r_d=y   I love this magazine.  The recipes are good, most of the recipes are with ingredients I have on hand or can even get in this town and they tell you all the calories and break it down nutritionally.

 I also like allrecipe.com.

   Ok, I am going to get ready for work.  Check out my graph.  I am back on track!  Now to get through the pot luck at work tonight by listening to my own advice, LOL.  Have a good day all.

 

        

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

TY for the links, I agree with you 100%. I can remember years ago when GNC advertised the tea that took weight off. You drink it and you loose...yep, you lost because they added a laxative to it and a diuretic, so you not only went to the toilet all the time but the laxative took the fluid out of your system and the diuretic did the same...dehydrated you!
I was glad my daughter worked for GNC and told me the values of the majority of the weight loss stuff they offered!
Read, read, read the labels and if you can't see what they have inside then ask the company who advertise the stuff to give you all the ingredients...some may actually freak you out!
:) good post
Doreen

Anonymous said...

I shold have added that my youngest son took three/four years of culinary arts so he learned the value of good food and taught me how to read labels on food and what to look for before buying. He is six foot and a bean pole...well not really "bean" :) But he does watch what he eats and his MOM needs to do the same too....dumb me :))))))) Door

Anonymous said...

Weight loss is big business in this country.  Seems like everybody has the miracle solution to everyone's needs.  What worked for me was the Member's Only diet.  I went through that one in elementary school.  I weighed in at a whopping 150 and was about 5'4".  Mom said if I dieted successfully, I could get a Member's Only jacket.  It took a year, but I got down to 110...and got my Member's Only jacket.  If only it were always that simple.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Good advice. I have seen advertisements on TV that has the small writing on them about the diet. I told Ken that if you were going to be on a diet that you didn't need those expensive pills. Helen

Anonymous said...

Great advice, Julie.  The only thing that's ever worked for me is eating good and EXERCISE!!  I can't lose weight unless I MOVE.  Plain and simple.  
I've tried WW once...and I lost on that.  But, I've always been afraid of those other diets.  
Hope you have a good night at work.
Pam

Anonymous said...

great advice... there is no miracle pill.. losing weight is hard work and determination... not popping pills or a quick drink.
Hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm officially bummed.  You mean there is no magic pill?  Oh man!  What about TrimSpa, doesn't Anna look fab?  Oh okay, diet and exercise for me too.  I gained back the 3 pounds I lost before Thanksgiving and cheesecake and a few more.  Started working to get back on track yesterday.  Here's to you, to me, and to everyone else who is struggling to lose anything at all, be it 5 or 50, or 100 pounds!  De ;)

Anonymous said...

Excellent info!   I stopped looking for the magic pill several years ago....it's simply too dangerous.   Healthy eating is the best advice of all.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I think this could apply to just about any bad habit we want to break.  You are so right....our goal should be health...eat healthy, don't add toxins to our bodies, i.e. smoking.  People always come out of the woodwork with some painfree, easy way to do it and it just "ain't" so.  Nothing is ever easy.  It takes a lot of work to change our habits to become healthy and certainly comes with frustration.  No magic pill...Chris

Anonymous said...

Julie, this isn't a rant....it's solid and wise advise from someone who knows! I've done it all too and I've found that you are so right. When people ask me how I lost the weight and I tell them "Weight Watchers" they always look defeated because it wasn't magic! LOL :) In the end, it's the same thing we've always known...eat less, move more and treats on limited occasions in moderation. <sigh> but true :) Thanks for caring enough for everyone to share that.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~