Saturday, March 24, 2007

Rain

                           

   Well its rainy and gloomy out today.  No bike riding today.  Sigh.  But the rain will bring new growth and that is a good thing.  Since I can't ride I guess I will list some things for the store.   I got a lovely antique chocolate german lusterware set today that I can list and a couple of teapots and things.  I keep putting it off so today will be a good day for it.  Then off to check on my MIL.

    Now I really don't know how much money she has, but I do know she has enough for a cab in an emergency and she could eat better.  She will buy the absolute cheapest groceries.  Generic soups, TV dinners, white bread, (horrors) you name it.  And it tastes like the cheapest also. 

  They have some really good TV dinners out there now a days.  The weight watchers ones I eat and healthy choice are tasty and lower in sodium then alot of them.  Those cheap soups she gets are just loaded with salt.  I told her if maybe, just maybe... she would give in and lower her salt intake even a little she maybe, just maybe wouldn't need to be on 2 different blood pressure meds.  But she is a stubborn woman.  Food doesn't taste good without salt she complains.   Learn to cook with something besides salt!  There are so many wonderful spices out there.  I never use salt and think my food tastes just fine, or I guess I should say Ricks food taste just fine.  First thing she does when we bring her supper is salt it....Before she even tastes it!  Darn woman.  Please let me stay a reasonable and practical woman my entire life.  I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I was alone and elderly I would move into a smaller apartment so I could remain independent.   Not my MIL.  Oh I could never leave this house.  ARGH.  It she isn't careful it may be feet first as she totters down a staircase head first.  She is getting so unsteady.  I told her when you can no longer take care of your house it is time to look into a smaller place.  I take care of it she says!  No Mom, we do!  Paint the kitchen, clean out the basement, new gutters, shovel behind the garage, take out the garbage.  If I wanted to take care of 2 places I would be a landlord.  Gee, can you tell I am frustrated?

   OK, so enough witching here.  I guess I'll get busy and get some work done.  Can't make money unless I list it to sell.  Also am getting busy on a ad for our dog and cat food we are distributors for.   Now would be a good time to get some new customers.  Which makes me wonder.  Rat poison in the wheat gluten.  Do we export that for any human food also?   My neighbors cat is sick.  She thinks its from bad food.  So sad.

                                

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your MIL's so stubborn. I only eat fresh veg and meat, I don't eat the pre-cooked stuff although some is quite good, it just doesn't give me a satisfied feeling after eating! Food has enough natural salt in without adding it. A couple of years ago I had guests so I went and bought some salt, I had to ask in the supermarket I shopped for thirty years with where they kept it! Couldn't find it anywhere! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

I get cross with Bryan when he adds salt to his food.  I always cry out "taste it first for goodness sake".  He loves salt and puts it on his tomato sandwiches like snow if I'm not watching him.   We use Lo Sea Salt which is better than the full strength one I suppose.  I have all sorts of wonderful sprinkly herbs and peppers for him to use since his heart attack; but old habits die hard.
Sorry you have rain.  Its been a beautiful clear blue sky and sunny day today here in the Lakes.  
I love the little 'ducky duddle looking for a puddle' tag above.  Its cute  Hope you get some more cycling in soon.   It certainly cheers you up, I've noticed, when you do.    Hope your MIL carries on improving with her memory recovery since she came of the cholestrol pills.  Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Love your ducky rain tag...very cute!  
Maybe another day for the bike ride...it is a slow drizzle here in Virginia.  Sounds like you have a good plan for your day.  I bought my Mom some TV dinners, healthy ones...they do taste okay to me too.  Your MIL should come off the salt...they even had on the news about how much Chinese food had too much sodium...nothing is safe anymore.  Hope your outing goes well...hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

have a good weekend:) its rainy here love the rain but i have a feeling its going to do this every weekend till summer:) good luck with MIL i feel for you

Deb

Anonymous said...

It's rained here for the last 3 days. I love your little duck up there it's perfect for this weather. I agree with you on a smaller place and healthier eating habits for your MIL. I rarely use salt and if I do it's Sea salt, which is better for you. With all the spices out there, really you don't need salt to flavor your food. I hope I'm not a cranky old woman either when I get to be her age. But then again I already eat right and excersize so that's half the battle. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I bet you will do extremely well with your animal food right now.  I was wondering the same thing about the wheat gluten.  Now that is frightening.

LOL...the elderly...well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  They sure get totally set in their line of thinking.  Chris