Tuesday, December 12, 2006

      Good morning everyone.  As you can see I am thinking of my weight loss this morning.  I am a member of the Kick in the Tush Club and thought this was a perfect thing to put on my fridge this mornng.  I love her newsletters and she always has some good tips.   I also got a recipe that isn't too fattening and I bet with Whey low or your favorite sugar sub.  would be even lower in calories and pretty good.  Check out her site    Not much going on this morning.  It is rainy and deary in Iowa this morning.  Just a dull day.   After I get a couple cups of coffee in my I plan on hitting the gym and then working on Christmas cards the rest of the day.  Times getting short.  I always wait until the last minute if I don't force myself.  I also have a gift to send my sister in Hawaii and better get it sent if I want it to get there on time.

    Another thing I am going to do this weekend after payday is make a donation to the UFO for the troops.  Don't want to forget our brave men and women fighting for us.  

    After this month we are only going to be able to wear navy blue or white uniforms at work...... how dull.  No more bright colored tops.  The patients are bummed as are the nurses.  However.... looking in my closet I can't help but feel a thrill when I see how many uniforms I will have to get rid of and how much closet space I will end up with.  They are giving us 3 sets and I like to have at least 6 sets so I have a new one for everyday.  Of course now that they will be the same dull uniform day in and day out I guess it won't matter as long as they are clean.  Sigh.  Our new CEO is an older man and wants us to shape up.  Excuse me but what does my uniform have to do with my patient care?  This is the same on who is making us work manditory extra time.

   Anyway that is my day.  Of course I work tonight and tomorrow.  Thursday morning after I get off work I go straight to the dentist to get a cavity filled.  I am hoping to sleep through it, Yah right.  I hate going to the dentist but you know what they say, ignore your teeth, they will go away!

 


Janice Taylor
www.OurLadyofWeightLoss.com

 

Lemon Squares

For a dessert that’s not too sweet, try these lemony treats.

PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes plus cooling
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 16
INGREDIENTS:
CRUST
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup cold unsalted margarine, cut into bits
2 tablespoons ice water

LEMON FILLING
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 1/2 teaspoons sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, for sifting
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.

2. Make crust: Combine flour, confectioners’ sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in margarine until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle with the ice water and mix until a small piece of dough pinched between fingers holds together.

3. Pat dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan and bake 20 minutes.

4. Make lemon filling: Meanwhile, beat egg, egg white, granulated sugar, and lemon juice together in a small mixer bowl on medium speed 2 minutes, until mixture is light and smooth. Whisk in flour, lemon rind, baking powder, and salt.

5. When crust is done, quickly remove pan from oven and pour lemon mixture over crust, spreading evenly. Immediately return to oven and bake 25 minutes, until lemon topping is set.

6. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and sift confectioners’ sugar over top before removing from pan. Makes 16 squares.

Nutrition Per Serving:
Per square: Calories 105, fat 3 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 13 mg, sodium 39 mg, carbohydrate 18 g, fiber 0 g, protein 1 g.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I'm surprised you have to wear special uniforms to work.  The only time I had to do that was in Cath Lab. Blue and they gave us a white lab coat to wear outside the department.  
Good luck at the dentist.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. I love lemon squares and I cannot wait to try them. I too am on the journey for a better, "lighter," life.

Cat

Anonymous said...

When this CEO leaves, and a new one replaces him, you can go back to wearing bright tops again, cuz the new guy will think the blue ones are drab!!  So clean your closet, but don't get rid of them just yet!!  My mom was a school lunch lady and when she started, in the late '60's, it was white dresses and white hose, white nurse shoes.  25 years later, when she retired,  they were wearing any color pants, and school t-shirts!!  My how times have changed!!  Take care....
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

The recipe sounds yummy.  Blue or white uniforms...hmmm....I always liked seeing the colorful ones and the holidays ones at Chrismas.  Seems to cheer the place up.  I can see the old guy doesn't actually do the nursing.  Good luck at the dentist.  Yuck...I even having my teeth cleaned.  HUGS  Chris