TOP 10 STRATEGIES
FOR PERMANENT WEIGHT LOSS
1. Exercise - It's nothing new, but exercise is probably the most important predictor of whether you will succeed at long term weight loss and weight loss maintenance.
2. Pump Iron -Miriam Nelson, a Tufts University researcher, showed that a group of women who followed a weight loss diet and did weight training exercises lost 44 percent more fat than those who only followed the diet. The basic equation is this: the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn.
3. Keep a Diary - Keeping a food diary can be a huge asset in successful weight loss.
4. Stay Focused on Healthy, Not Thin - Many people become more successful at long term weight loss when their motive changes from wanting to be thinner to wanting to be healthier.
5. Find Out What's Eating You - All too often overeating is triggered by stress, boredom, loneliness, anger, depression and other emotions.
6. Get Support - A big key in long term weight control comes from receiving encouragement and support from others.
7. Watch Your Portions - With the advent of "supersize" meals and increasingly huge portions at restaurants, our concept of normal serving sizes is a distant memory. Be mindful of the amounts of food you consume at a sitting.
8. Lose Weight Slowly With Small Changes -It is important to realize that the more quickly weight is lost, the more likely the loss is coming from water and muscle, not fat.
9. Slow Down -That's because from the time you begin eating it takes the brain 20 minutes to start signaling feelings of fullness. Fast eaters often eat beyond their true level of fullness before the 20 minute signal has had a chance to set in.
10. Eat Less Fat, But Do It Wisely -To many, the message to limit fats implied an endorsement to eat unlimited amounts of fat-free products. Just to clarify, fat-free foods have calories too. In some cases fat-free foods have as many calories as their fat laden counterparts.