Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Musings

                                                                                                    

 I have been getting ready for the trip and just thinking about how strange it is.  If anyone had told me last year that I would be doing this, and that I was the one who suggested it, I would have told them they were nuts and would have run and hid.  I always liked hiking but have never been a really physical person.  I perfer the comfort of a well air conditioned car and although I love to camp haven't done it for a few years.

   Here I am a 51 one year old overweight gramma planning a bicycle trip over 126 miles total.   Granted the ride is listed as easy in most parts but still......Me! 

   Some of my co-workers are worried about me.  My son is more then a little concerned.  Surprisenly I am not worried at all.   I am on vacation, I don't have to do it fast, I can take my time, rest as I need to.  Take lots of pictures and after all, I am a highly trained nurse who can handle any emergency that might befall us.   I have a cell phone, the longest distance between towns is only 13.6 miles which I could ride in 30 minutes if I had to.  I am even playing with the idea of bringing our tent and camping out.  Hubby isn't to thrilled with that though.  What an adventure this will be for me.  Maybe even to tame. 

  Of course some people will think this is nothing, but you have to know where I was at physically last year to appreciate what this means and what I have done to get this far.  From 30 minutes at Curves 3 times a week to this.  From living with severe pain and high blood pressure to being for the most part pain free and I have a very good, even low blood pressure these days.  Most days the top number is under 100!  My pulse which used to run about 120 is now in the 70's to 80's.  I am not the fat old gramma I was last year.  I am a new fit fat old gramma this year.  Yippy!

   Anyway this is what I have been thinking about today as we get things ready.  We are going to do a practice load on the bikes to see how everything fits.  We don't want them so packed with stuff that they weight 50 pounds more.  The weather is suppose to be in the 90's, darn, so we have to make sure we have plenty of water which will be the heaviest thing.  Some changes of clothes as I sweat like a faucet when it is hot out and I don't have bike clothes.  I am just feeling so good about this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are doing this!!  I really hope you have an enjoyable ride and quality time with Rick.  And afterward....I want DETAILS!!!  DETAILS PLEEEZ!!! LOL
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Julie..

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and your link at my journal.  I will put you on alerts too!

I am in awe of you!  I think it's great that you are going to ride a bike 126 miles!  As long as you aren't racing, and can stop when you get tired, then you should be able to do it, no sweat!  Well...maybe SOME sweat! lol  I wish you all the luck in the world Julie.. and may you ride like the wind, and have a safe and fun trip!  

:)
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hoping you will have a great vacation. Helen

Anonymous said...

LOL..Julie, I'm 52 and not sure I could do this but I would sure try.  Hope the weather is decent.  I would croak if it thundered and lighteninged on me.  We camped years ago.  I'm into luxury but this may just turn out to be a wonderful, relaxing vacation.  Can't wait to hear about.  Love your pictures in your last entry.  The sepia barn is awesome!  HUGS  Chris