Sunday, September 4, 2005

The Journey


One who stays focused on the beautiful,
is unrestrained with the senses,
knowing no moderation in food,
apathetic, unenergetic:
Mara overcomes him
as the wind, a weak tree.

One who stays focused on the foul,
is restrained with regard to the senses,
knowing moderation in food,
full of conviction & energy:
Mara does not overcome him
as the wind, a mountain of rock.


-Dhammapada, 1, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

    Boy, this one really speaks to me.  I am down to 216 even today and feeling very sure of myself.  I know I will lose the weight and really don't feel any threats to my goal.  I am still plaqued by arthritis pain but I think I am getting some relief since I added Tai Chi.  I just have problems with the more aggressive exercise and have to admit to myself I am getting older.  I can feel my muscles getting stronger.  My back feels firm instead of doughy.  I love it.  I have more energy at work, which I need since we have been so busy.    I had chicken fajitas tonight. Love them.

 

No comments: