Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Time flys

       

The week is just flying by.  I think it's because I know it will be my last week off before I start work.  I did arrange it so that the night I go back will be my short week,  just Tuesday and Wednesday and then off again until next week on Thursday.  I should be fine.  I need to be making some money and if truth be told I could probably go back tomorrow but I don't want to.  My incisions are finally completely closed.  I am still spitting some stitches but otherwise I am doing well. 

   We ended up not going downtown yesterday.  I just didn't feel like it after supper because of this darn cold and Rick is coming down with it also.  Watched a movie and had a very hard time staying awake. That will have to change because soon I will be working 12 hour nights.  I need to stay awake later and sleep later then 6 am.

   We had the parmesan crusted fish last night.  The fish fell apart and the cheese fell off and it was still really good.  I think we needed a firmer fish as I used Pollack.  I had brussels sprouts again, getting stuck in a rut and can't wait until Dan works his new shift as we will have more obtions.  Fussy kid.  Today I am making bean soup.  I couldn't find a recipe for the mixed beans I had so am making something up and hope it turns out OK.  My mother in law is great at soups and can make leftovers taste great.  I think I throw too many things in.  I have to really limit the salt and she uses a ton.  Hopefully it will taste good.

    Today is weigh in for the 100+ board.  I am still just down the 2 pounds, plus 4 oz but I won't count that.  I have lost 7 on SB 1 and am thinking that since I am no longer dropping it off so fast it is time for phase 2.  I am not having any cravings, but really never have had.  Just crankiness.  I want to go out on Friday to listen to live Jazz and maybe share a bottle of wine.  I tried to drink a bottle of  Boulevard Pale Ale last night and it tasted awful.  Now that really upsets me.  I had no intention of giving up my occasional beers and didn't find out until I was committed to the plan that sometimes beer isn't tolerated and doesn't taste good anymore.  Wine gives me a headache and although I like it I don't like headaches.  I will have to see what I can drink.

   My granddaughter called last night and they put us on the speaker phone so we could hear her open her presents.  She loved everything we gave her and I could have cried that I couldn't watch her in person.  If it was just me I would be moving.  Could never get Rick to move.

Parmesan Crusted Fish (all phases)

This recipe works best with thin, firm fillets, such as halibut, red snapper, catfish, orange roughy, etc. (I used Tilapia fillets and they were excellent). The fish is coated with seasoned Parmesan cheese and quickly sauteed. The cheese forms a delicate crust which compliments the fish in both flavor and texture. If small fillets are not available, use larger ones and cut them into smaller pieces.

1 egg
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (I used one clove, crushed or sprinkles of garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds fish fillets
3/4 to 1 cup Parmesan, grated (I used Kraft 100% that comes in a plastic container)
1 tablespoon canola oil (can cut down on oil if making less fish)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
1 lemon, cut into wedges (optional)

Beat the egg lightly with the garlic and pepper.
Coat the fish fillets with the beaten egg, draining off excess.
Roll the fillets in the Parmesan to coat. Let sit 5 minutes before cooking.

Heat the oils in a large skillet (I recommend a non-stick pan) and I only use olive oil) over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the fillets and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the fillets over and brown the other side. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds wonderful!  I will certainly have to try it!  Thanks to Sam's Club, I usually have a variety of seafood in the chest freezer.  We could never justify spending the money on fresh stuff!  

I LOVE Brussels sprouts!  Did you ever try my suggestion for sauteing them and sprinkling them with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix?  I know you have to watch the sodium.  I do not fully recall the ingredients, I think there might be something in there that's not quite phase one legal.  Maybe some modified food starch....  I really love these Brussels sprouts, though.  I have them once every day!  I'm like a little kid that way.  When I was younger I had a PB&J every single day in my school lunch and loved it!  

WTG on still being down those 2 lbs. plus 4 more ounces!  I know what you mean about not counting those ounces.  It's almost like then you're guaranteed some level of weight loss for the following week!

I think the crankiness is the lack of carbs.  This part of phase one sucks!  I'm sorry you didn't like the taste of your beer!!  Is it all wine that gives you headaches?  I get them from the tannins in red wine.  

That's so sweet that you guys got to listen to your grand-daughter open her presents!  Okay, if you can't talk Rick into moving, it's time to get a web cam!  But food, first.  Money goes for healthy food, first.  Then save the change from the couch cushions for a web cam!

{{{HUGS}}}
Danielle