Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Well, we knew it wasn't good

                

               Donna always has such beautiful tags.

   Well the doctor was straight forward and honest.  Really nice, but said right out front that they would not be able to cure her pancreatic cancer.  He is 99% certain that is what it is.  They would only be certain if they biopsied it and he thinks that would be really hard on her.  He doesn't recommend chemo or radiation either.  If she was younger and stronger maybe but the treatment would be very hard for her to take at her age.  She says she doesn't want her last months to be spent sick.  She just wants to make sure she is kept as pain free as possible.  So then he told her to get on hospice and start thinking about a nursing home.  We told him we would be moving in when the time came which seemed to surprise him, but it worked with my FIL.  My son stayed here and took care of this house.  He said it could be as long as 6 months, maybe longer but my gut says it won't be that long.  She is down 2 more pounds.

    When we got home hospice called within 1/2 hour which was a shock.  I guess I was expecting that to take some time also.  They are coming out in the morning.  I am hoping we get the nurse that came out to visit my FIL as I used to work with her and we are friends. 

   So now we start the nightmare all over again with another loved one.  Sometimes I feel the best thing I ever did was become a nurse so I could do something to repay the people I love for everything they have done for me and meant to me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you now have to go through this with you mom.  The only thing I can think of to say is to enjoy every last minute you have with your mom.  I was grateful to have that opportunity with my dad and, even though it was one of the hardest things I have had to do, now...7 years later...I am so thankful I had that time.

I'm here if you need me....always.

((hugs))
jeanne

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about this Julie. Hospice is a good thing. We used them with my mother who had cancer. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for what lies ahead for you and your family.  Thank God you are a nurse, as you will know what to expect.  The whole family will look to you for answers and draw from your strength. That will be hard.  
Enjoy each minute.  As I said before, she is lucky to have you and Rick.
Love to you both,
Pam

Anonymous said...

((((Julie))))))   I'm so sorry....  wish I was there to help you.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

oh julie....i'm so sorry.  i know God will bless you for your love, generosity and willingness to do everything you can for your mil....that is what He wants from all of us.  you are in my prayers.
gina

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie, I'm so sorry.  Difficult news even if you have been expecting it.  What an awesome thought on why you became a nurse.  There are days I wonder.  God be with you and your family now, and during the difficult months ahead!  De ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry and I will keep you in good thoughts and prayers.
Sending strength.
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.. you have my thoughts and prayers... Lisa

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry:( but at least you all now know what to expect:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((Major Hugs))))))))))))))) God Bless you and your family. So many good people going thru so much pain and suffering. Tonight the journals have brought me to tears but I wish you all  Creators blessed energy to face your tomorrows and add my love and well wishes to help you cope. Doreen & Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,

I read you blog every so often.  I am 50 years old and had 100 pounds to lose also. I have lost 40 so far.  I just saw where your MIL has cancer.  I am so sorry.  My mother found out about two months ago that she has thyroid cancer.  She is looking towards surgery. They say that if she has the kind of cancer they think she does that surgey may take care of it.  

I will pray for your family.
Betty

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear the prognosis.  I don't think it comes as much of a shock to you though, which is a good thing.  You have gotten everything pretty much figured out, and the ball is rolling.  Hospice is a wonderful thing.  They did so much when my Aunt was dying from Mesothelioma, among other ailments.  They made it bearable for both her and the family.  I wish you and the yours the best and hope that things go smoothly.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Straighforward yes, easy to bare no. I'm so sorry hon, I know this isn't the easiest time for you. In a case like this, words fail. But my thoughts and prayers for your MIL and your family are still going strong. ((Hugs)) I'm here for you! Indigo