Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thoughts

     I am still in shock about the terrible shooting in Virginia.   How could something so terrible happen.  All the signs were there.  I think part of it the political correctness of everyone.  He has the right to be different, who am I to interfer.... Will I be call a racist.  So may factors.  Fear, knowing this man was over the edge and it sounds like students knew it.  Teachers knew it.  This was a true hate crime.

    I think our lottery dollars, suppose to spent (for the children) , ( for education) should be spend to make sure our students can lock down their schools.  Sad that it has to happen.  Lock my child in school so some nut case can't harm them.  What is the world coming too?  

    I also think they should never give the nut cases name.  They should refer to him as idiot or Mr. Crazy.  Don't let someone want to beat his number and get their 15 minutes of fame.  In their headset if they knew no one would mutter their name would it make a difference?    Maybe.  And stop not telling.  Stop shielding these people.  They all have a pattern.  Lock them up and give them treatment.  We don't lock up the disturbed anymore.  Give them drugs and send them on their merry way.  Trust the insane to take the drugs. Pay the price when they don't.

   You don't have to agree with me. I never did say I was politically correct.  Some of you may have relatives with mental illness.  This type of mental illness goes beyond that.  I have worked with some of these people.  I truly believe the safest thing for all of us is to lock them up for good.  Some of these people, not all.  But the system didn't break it down like that.  Not until they commit a horrible crime.  We need to change that.

   Anyway.  My hearts goes out to the family and community.  I am saddened beyond words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all boils down to money Julie.   There isn't enough of it to care for the many mentally insane in locked wards so they are dumped back out onto the streets at the least little sign of sanity Hospital committees should have Joe public sitting in on their board meetings whenever they discuss releasing folks who should be sectioned forever.   The board should contain the family members of those who have been slain by their over zealous conformity to the dictates of what does or does not constitute a 'nut case', as you put it, according totheir 'Rule Book'..  The dead should have a say in the matter through their family members.    I agree with you also about not giving them a name.  Over here in Britain children and young adults who steal cars are called 'Joy Riders' .  Where is the Joy in driving a car so recklessly that it kills pedestrians or other Drivers?.      Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Julie, this is way beyond mental illness.  I have no clue what makes on snap and react like this but I do think the media needs to back off on things like this and not "glamorize" the person.  It just sickens me.  Chris

Anonymous said...

When tragedies of this magnitude occur, the devastation is so wide spread I don't even know how to pray for the situation.   Its just so unthinkable, the grief this one person caused.    I haven't even found the words to write my own entry about it yet.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Unfortunately it costs money and who's going to pay it?  But, there are a lot of mentally ill folks who should be locked up.  Absolutely!
Pam