I am finished for awhile. What a long week. I did get into the swing of things and my new temporary boss is very impressed with me. She hopes I stay on light duty for quite awhile, LOL. She really complimented me today and said other people have just sat there the entire time with their nose in a book. She likes the way I greet people and help them out. Well I am old school. Every job is worth doing well. I did get to talk to some really nice people and some really interesting people. The time still dragged and I miss my real job but I can see where a people person would like this job. Still I am happy I am off tomorrow. I am tired of getting up early and tired of sitting on my butt all those hours.
Went to lunch and ate in our locker room. My knee has been swollen and stiff from inactivity. A chair back there was broken and of course I picked it. I sank to the floor practically and my knee just screamed in pain. Ouch. I almost cried. So by the time I got to my PT today and saw the doctor is was all swollen up again and my pain was at a 6. It is just throbbing. Today I could use some pain pills. So they are going to do a MRI. We need to find out why this is taking so long to heal. I will be tick if it is a tear and it turns out I should have had it scoped 2 weeks ago. I will probably get it tomorrow.
They are expecting some major bad time weather tomorrow. Blizzard type weather. Hope they are wrong. It has been beautiful all week, I finally get a day off and blizzard. What a drag.
Well, I am going to slug in front of the TV and watch a movie and go to bed early. These days are killing me. I have some packages to mail out tomorrow. That's bad about this shift, I can't get to the post office. I will finish this up with some funnies.
This is funny and oh so true!!!!
Here are some tips to remember before your next
visit to the ER
You need to remember these are from some practicing and
former Emergency dept. RNs!
1. Don't tell me you have abdominal pain as you eat
Doritos in my triage booth.
2. If you come to the ER by ambulance, the first
thing I will ask you is how you are getting home. No, we
don't have people on staff to drive you home, and don't tell me
you don't want to "bother" one of your family
members at this hour. You had no problem bothering
911 for the back pain you've had for 3 months.
3. You don't get to pick your own IV site. This
will irritate me and I will probably miss your IV on
purpose and start your site in the place I wanted to
initially to prove a point
4. "Butterfly" is not an IV size, this word signals
me to put in a larger bore needle.
5. Nausea is not a reason to come to the ER. If
you are not in severe pain, are not vomiting or
pooping your pants in front of me, your butt goes
back to the waiting room.
6. How can you have the worst migraine of your
life, but be able to yell at me about the wait after
you just put down a magazine you were reading?
7. Don't ever say things like, "I usually get 4 mg
of Dilaudid". Requesting your med and dosage will
prompt me to squirt out half of the med before I
inject, then I lie about the dose.
8. If you are allergic to Tylenol, Toradol, and
Motrin, I have already assumed you are a drug
9. If you came to the ER having a family doctor
appointment that same day, I will make sure you are
still in the department well past the time of your
10. I don't care if you are neighbors with the GI
specialist. Unless he drove you to the ER himself,
you can't be that friendly.
11. Just because, "my doctor sent me here", does
not mean you get right back to a treatment room.
This tells me you are a pain in the ass, and he's
pawning you off.
12. The louder you moan/whine, the bigger size IV needle you get.
13. Foley catheters cure pseudo-seizures. They
also cure intoxicated persons.
14. If you are on more than 2 medicines at home,
bring a list. Don't say, "you know, the little
white pill". I am not a pharmacist.
15. RN is not synonymous with waiter/waitress.
16. Don't bitch about missing breakfast when I'm on
the ninth hour of my shift and haven't peed yet.
17. What gives you the right to complain about your
sore throat for a week while I have diarrhea from
the antibiotics I've been taking for pneumonia?
18. Broken toes are not an emergency. We'll make
you feel stupid by putting a little piece of tape
down there and kicking you out.
19. I am currently inventing a trapdoor system in
triage to be triggered when you say the word "toothache".
20. Cover you mouth when you cough/belch. This is
just common courtesy. When you neglect to do this,
I am tempted to bust butt in your room, then close the door.
21. If you tell me you have fibromyalgia or chronic
fatigue syndrome, know that I'm rolling my eyes and
thinking you're a loser.
22. If you list Haldol, geodon, Xanax, and
trazadone as allergies, don't tell me you have no
23. Never sign in with chest pain because you were
too embarrassed to write "penile sores" or "foul
smelling discharge". This will piss me off that I
bumped you ahead of other people and I'll make your
24. Although you've been in the ER four times this
week, you cannot list the ER doc as your family
25. Do not talk to me while I'm trying to listen to
26. Don't tell me you have no money for medicine
while you have a carton of cigarettes in your purse
are playing their own PSP's.
27. Gravida 7 at age 22 means you are a slut.