Wednesday, July 5, 2006

update on my son.

   Ok, the doctor says the swelling is just because they had to do so much work on that leg and not to worry.  He did start him on antibiotics which kind of makes me mad.  Why....... he has no sign of infection, no temp.  They did no blood work to see if his white count was elevated.  I have this thing about over prescribing antibiotics.  We are in a real mess because people keep taking antibiotics for viruses and they don't work.  We are making all these super infections that are resistant to antibiotics because they are over subscribed.  

   He didn't check his pulse, he barely answered any questions.  Just glanced at his leg and out the door.  Sometimes I am embarrassed to be in this profession when I see the treatment, or lack of it, that people get.  For what you pay,  you all deserve better.  You really do.  People have to start demanding that they get as long as they need for a doctor visit, not a 5 minute time slot.  Until people complain it won't change.

    So my son is home with his leg up and I am putting ice on it for the swelling.  I will drive him to OPD if it gets worse where nurses I work with will understand my concern and make sure the tests I want ordered are ordered.  Because in the end you have to be your own advocate and make sure you, or your loved one gets the treatment they need.  The squeaky wheel is really correct.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes doctors make me mad i agree you have to be your own advocate:) hope your son is better soon

Deb

Anonymous said...

That is a strange way for a Doctor to act. Hope your son soon feels better and the pain goes away. Helen

Anonymous said...

You are so right about the squeaky wheel!!!  That's what got my best friend Joey through his battle with Cancer.  He fired so many Docs!  He was very proactive in his care.  
Now me....I'm not so proactive. I tend to just go along with what the doc says sometimes.  I've argued a little and he'll listen....but overall I think I need to be a bit more aggressive on some things.
Hope your son is having a better night.  Hope he's able to rest. Hugs to you Julie....Pamela

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about that doctor.  I'll come kick him in the shin, if you like.    Sounds like he just didn't take your concerns seriously, and even if he felt you had nothing to be concerned about, he should have set your mind at ease, I think.   I'm really blessed to have a wonderful woman doctor, who listens to me and will take time to go over my concerns.   They should ALL be that way.   Hopefully your son will show a marked improvement by tomorrow, and have a peaceful night to night.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your son's leg is okay and so happy he had you as his advocate.....it makes me INSANE at time when they dismiss us and what we are trying to tell them. UGH!
Your pictures were awesome....the bird was really GREAT!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Your son is in my prayers...have a good and peaceful weekend...hugs and much love,
Joyce