Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Price of Vacation



      The price of taking a vacation is adding up.  Almost to the cost of feeling very guilty about such wasteful spending.  A year ago when we planned it the cost of gas wasn't so high.  The cost of food was quite a bit lower.  Boarding the dog, went way up this year.

     Rent the cabin for 800, figure gas will cost us around 600, the dog boarding costs 270, loss of income for 3 weeks 3500.  Food another 300 or more.  Getting the bikes ready 100, new hitch on the new van 500 and the list goes on and on and on.

     I try to tell myself that I work hard all year and I haven't taken a vacation, a true vacation for 8 years.  But still. It is a lot of money. And the Black Hills isn't even that far away.  This trip will cost me more then it did when I went to Canada for a week fishing 15 years ago.  I am seriously tempted to just cancel the whole thing and go camping locally on my 6 days off.  8 dollars a night. 15 for a fishing license.  4 bucks for sunscreen and 2 dollars for worms.

    I don't know how a whole family can afford it.  Staying in a motel, going to amusement parks, out to eat.  Yikes.

       Off to work tonight.  I am hoping and praying it is a good night.  We are once again expecting severe weather.  They keep saying golf ball size hail.  Oh my poor van.  Hope it is wrong.  We are suppose to be running around getting some chores done but can't budge Rick from working on his motorcycle.  I will give him another 15 minutes and go onmy own.  We are suppose to have rain the next week so I won't miss out on any bike riding days.  Now I will keep my fingers crossed my toe survives the weekend without a bed or cart rolling across my toe.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee..that all does sound expensive, but if you haven't gone on vacation for a long time, you might just deserve it all... :)  If you go camping locally, you would save a lot of money.  Just as long as you take time off and ENJOY yourself, no matter where you go is important.  :)  Julie

Anonymous said...

I would have to opt for the camping trip LOL. I hope you don't have any severe weather and that your work night goes well. Your flowers are really pretty. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure everyone's amending their vacation plans.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

You really need a vacation....everyone does from time to time.  Yeah money is tight, but you work hard for the money that you have.  Why should it all go to the mundane things in life.  You really should make it a point to enjoy the money that you earn throughout the year.  You will find a way to afford it...I did for the Alaska trip, and haven't regretted the expenditure one second since returning.  You owe it to yourself...go and enjoy!!

Greg

Anonymous said...

I agree with Greg! My trip to Madagascar is costing me the equivalent of $7,000 but I figure it's worth it ~ I work hard all year and spend my money on trips away. Never feel guilty ~ you can't take it with you so spend it while you're still around! I know you'll enjoy it and you'll came back refreshed! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

You TOTALLY deserve a vacation!  Yes, its alot of money and these days, with things the way they are with the economy, I completely understand how you feel.  BUT.....TAKE THE VACATION AND ENJOY IT!!  You work hard, you can't take it with you when you go and it's going to be worth every single penny!!!

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Julie, the economy sucks right now and everything costs an arm and a leg but don't give up that vacation.  The relaxation and peace you will feel is worth every cent.  You haven't had one in years so go ahead and enjoy it.  I went to Naples, Fl with my son 3 years ago.  It was the first vacation in 10 years.  I fussed and fussed but it was the best thing in the world for me.  Hope you have a wonderful time!  Chris

Anonymous said...

Yup, the cost of travel and vacataioning sure has gone up. It's ripping my business to shreds. I say go anyway. 8 years is a long time without a break.

Dan

Anonymous said...

you have looked so forward to this trip for so long, i hope you don't have to cancel.  but i so understand where you are coming from.  everything is so high...i really don't know how people are making it either!  
gina