Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I married a MacGyver



      When picking a husband try to see how his home and car repair skills are first.  It can save you a ton of money. 

   Rick is a true MacGyver.  Able to take gum and duck tape and repair almost anything that is broken.  True I have a garage so full of stuff while my vehicles sit outside, but when the furnace breaks down in the middle of the winter, when a tree crashes through the roof in the middle of the night, when the car breaks down 200 miles from a service station, when the boat breaks down in the middle of the biggest wilderness lake in Canada, etc etc etc.....  Rick has something saved he can fix it with.  He's clever that way.  Born that way because you can't learn this stuff.  Glasses break in half in the wilderness, Rick just happens to have contact cement in his pack pack......might come in handy.  Car blows a fuel line, Rick just happens to have some tubing just the right size.  And sure enough I now have a roof without a hole in it.

   Good thing too because we haven't seen hide nor hair from our insurance adjuster.  Personally I suspect they are at the dunes.  The dunes is the rich side of town. Doctors, Lawyers and other VIP's live there.  And they got hit hard also yesterday.  Difference is they probably already have checks in their hot little hands from their insurance companies where we just have empty promises of repairs in the future.

    Rick spent yesterday on the roof with sheet metal, some black tarry stuff, and old roofing shingles patching our hole.  It didn't rain after all so we aren't sure it won't leak but personally, since I married a MacGyver type man, I have faith it will see us through.

    I proved not to be any help at all getting the tree limbs cleaned up.  Running through the house to get ready to clean up I hit my.... you guessed it, toe again hard.  You should have heard the screams.  Lifting the roof right off the house.  Thats OK, we need a new one anyway.  Really got it off center this time so off I drive to the doctors using  the gas with my big toe as my foot was in throbbing pain.  Xrays showed it to be fractured pretty bad and off kilter so they straightened it, ouch and gave me some pretty good pain pills and sent me off with instructions to wear wooden shoes and stop kicking my husband.  The toe which was almost unbruised is now bruised all over again so I start from scratch.  I have it all taped up and they said no croc's.  How am I going to work with my regular nurses shoes.  Hurts like the dickens getting them on.

    Also he told me to stay off the bike for just awhile.  If I keep bending the toe it will not heal.  Unless I can ride in wooden shoes.  Or splint my toe somehow.  Wonder if Rick could rig something up with things he has in the garage?  Lets see, leftover shims from setting the cabinets 4 years ago, duck tape.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Julie.  I have a brother-in-law who is Rick's clone.  HUGE 3 3 car garage that is now a workroom filled with everything and anything you might need.  Never throws anything away because if he does, he will be bound to need it the next day.  But these men are few and far between, so hard to find.

I am a single parent for 25 yrs now, lived in a mobile home until 2002.  6 yrs ago my parents co-signed a loan for $30K for me and my BIL was my contractor for my beautiful 3 bedroom brick home.  He found different people to do different things in my home and he wouldn't accept a penny in payment!  I am now $500 ( 1 payment only!!) away from paying the entire loan.  Wouldn't have the home we have w/o him.  I am indebted to him for life because he has served as the "man of the house" anytime me and my kids needed him.

You've got a keeper Julie, treasure him always.

Estela in deep south TX
...wondering what in the heck Hurricane Dolly is gonna do!!!...on the edge of our seats here...

Anonymous said...

My husband is very much like yours...  He can fix anything!  :) My dad had the same trait..  Men who can fix things are keepers!!  We are lucky to have them!  Julie

Anonymous said...

well....mine tries to fix things.  lol  some things he does well on...and others....but guess i'll keep him anyway.  my sis has one of those that can fix anything, whether it's broken or not.  lol
gina

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that sounds painful Julie! I would have thought Crocs would be perfect with a broken toe, they're so comfy! I'm glad Rick was there to repair the roof, let's hope it holds up when the rain comes! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

You are dangerous with that toe. Guess you're gonna keep Rick for a while, huh?

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I laughed picturing your roof lifting off and landing off kilter. You are funny!
Pam