Friday, March 28, 2008

The art of putting off the unpleasant.

     My BIL isn't the only one who puts off things he knows will be unpleasant.   I have found myself doing that the last couple of weeks also.

    Zoey is due for her shots.  Now I have mentioned I am concerned about my baby dog.  Her lumps are increasing in leaps and bounds and she is just dumpy some days.  Occasionally she isn't eating that great.   Some days she acts like a puppy and we go for great walks and play in the snow and other days she seems to have trouble getting on my bed.  And in her armpit on her hind legs is a large lump.  Not round like the cysts, but firm and ropey.   A scary lump.  Plus a smaller one on the other side.

    I have felt lumps like that before on cancer patients in their groins or armpits when the cancer has gotten into their lymph system.  Which is what I am so afraid has happened to the old girl.

     Now if I don't take her in for her shots I can pretend most days that nothing what-so-ever is wrong with her.  I can put off the facts and spoil her rotten.  But if it is what I think it is that won't go on indefinitely.  Eventually the reality of it will become more and more apparent.  And there is the possibility I am dead wrong.  Which would be just simply the best news. 

      So I put it off a week......and another week.......and another.


inquestoftruth said...

(((((Julie))))))  Sure wish I could reassure you.   I do know how you feel, though.   We love our dog, too.     Hope everything turns out fine for you.

sharonna1955 said...

poor zoey im sure she hates the vet by now sending my prayers for you hope you fell well soon
Pretty girl ....Sue

nhd106 said...

Oh god...that's a horrible feeling.   But really...I wouldn't put it off AT ALL.   You'll kick yourself if it's a "Sooner the better" kinda thing.

Thinking of you.


jimsulliv3 said...

Take her to the vet and find out. You'll be full of stress if you don't. Hope she does ok.


coelha said...

I hope Zoey is okay..  Take care-have a good weekend!  Julie

lanurseprn said...

Take her in when you're ready. Until then, just enjoy her!
Pam xoxox

kirkbyj05 said...

I know how you feel Julie.  When our old dog Guy started to show signs I cried mysef to sleep in the dark each time I envisaged a life without him there.  Somehow our pets enter our hearts so differently to a childs presence in our lives.  Perhaps it's our knowledge that we have then on loan for such a short while by comparison.   They are unaware of their demise too and in the end it is our 'wrenched out of our soul' decision that has to give the final nod sometimes.  That's the hardest part of being a caring pet owner.  But... it is one we have to face with bravery and heartfelt love. We don't want them to suffer either.
I do feel for you at this  time my friend. The choice is yours and I know you are a wise and caring lady.  You will know when the time comes.
Thinking of you both.
Jeanie xxx

idlethoughts4me said...

We're going through the same thing with Lupo.  He's a 14 year old Shep/Akita.  His arthritis has gotten so bad that he cries day and night.  We are giving him Rimadyl and spraying Dr. Franks Arthritis Pain Reliever into his water.  It seems to be taking the edge off of his pain.  We know that the time is nearing for us to make the "hard" decision.  We are putting off the inevitable also.  We just keep saying that we'll keep him comfortable, and hopefully we'll have him until the end of the summer.  Why then?  I have no idea.  We're trying to buy time, I guess  Last May, we had to put our Lhasa Apso, Daisy down.  She was sick with diabetes, she was blind and deaf.  Her quality of life was so bad, we just had to do it.  It was heart-wrenching.  A feeling we really want to put off with Lupo.  Julie, I wish you luck with Zoey.  Maybe you should just take her to the vet and find out that hopefully, you were wrong and she'll be fine.  Either way, you'll be doing what's right for Zoey.

Take Care!!  

cacklinrosie101 said...

Julie, I'm so sorry to hear that your Zoey keeps developing those lumps.  I'd be worried sick myself.  I fuss over Grizzly all the time.  If you take her and they are cancerous, isn't it better to get them off of her quickly?  That's a tough one.  I'll keep your baby girl in my prayers.  Chris

daddyleer said...

It is particulary tough to move toward possible (probable) bad news.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

jckfrstross said...

i feel for you :) its hard when we love them so much. keeping you and Zoey in prayer


radar446 said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that Zoey has some more lumps returning.  It has sure been a rollercoaster ride for you guys hasn't it?  I can see exactly where you are coming from with putting off the trip to the vet.  Both arguments are very convincing, but by not going and not knowing, you can put it out of your mind for a while.  Of course, the not knowing is stressful for you.  And....cancer can really hurt, if that is the case, they might be able to prescribe some sort of pain meds to make Zoey more comfortable...that is if that is the case, which I hope it isn't.