Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Lovely Quote from today

   I received this in the mail today and wanted to share it.  It is so nice.

             Death is nothing at all.  I have slipped away into the next room.  I am I, and you are you.  Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.  Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the same easy way which you always used.  Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.  Laugh as we always laughed, at the the little jokes we enjoyed together.  Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me.  Let my name be the household word that is always was.   Let it be spoken without effect, without trace of shadow on it.  Life means all that it ever meant, it is the same as it ever was, there is an unbroken continuity.  What is death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?  I am waiting for you for an interval, somewhere very near, just the corner.

   All is well.


                                             -Canon Henry Scott Holland (1847-1918)

           Isn't that just lovely!  I would have included it in the sermon if I had it sooner.  Everything went smoothly today.  We had plenty of food and all the left overs we donated to the Gospel mission.   My men looked so handsome in their suits.  I have one more day to rest and then back to work.  It will be good.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very good Julie. I hope your day goes well when you go back to work. Helen

Anonymous said...

That really is beautiful! I am glad it went well.
Pam

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful!!!  Glad all went well
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice service to remember your MIL, and what a lovely quote and how comforting.  Rest well my friend.  De ;)

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful piece of prose which is often read out at funerals over here in England.  It is very popular and loved by many Julie.
I am so glad to hear some lightness in your words.  And Betty would have been smiling at how smart your 'men' looked in reverence to her memory.
I know she would have been beside you all throughout the day.
God Bless you all.
Sending you my love and prayers.
Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know it very well and have sent it to  people on numerous occasions.  It is very popular over here.  Glad all went well

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it went well and how nice to donate that food the mission.  Awesome!! I'm sure your MIL would have loved that!!  and that quote is great!! Thank you for it.  I posted it on myspace for my brothers to read!  We are still missing my brother so much.  Love you, take care!!  Shelly

Anonymous said...

That quote is beautiful, and so true.  I'm sure your boys were very handsome, and I'm sure their grandmother was very proud to see them all dressed up.  I don't doubt for a moment she wasn't there.  Take care..  Julie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, almost intimidating, but I will add my few and hope that your days continually become better and stronger.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I know this poem.  It is beautiful.  I'm so glad everything went well.  I don't know the history with you BIL, but he doesn't sound very nice. Hope your husband gets better soon.  Keeping the peace isn't good.  I hope your MIL is laid to rest before springtime.
Take care of yourself Julie
Carolxx